History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stores

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairstead, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8149 / 51°48'53"N

Longitude: 0.5335 / 0°32'0"E

OS Eastings: 574733

OS Northings: 215958

OS Grid: TL747159

Mapcode National: GBR PJN.3QW

Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.6NF1

Entry Name: The Stores

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115374

Location: Fairstead, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Fairstead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Fairstead St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TL 71 NW FAIRSTEAD FULLER STREET
(west side)

1/21 The Stores

- II

House. C.1590, converted to a shop and house in C19, and back to a house in
C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays
facing NE, with stack in second bay from left end against rear wall, forming a
lobby-entrance, and external stack at right end. Original lean-to behind left
end, extended along the remainder of the rear wall in C18/C19. 2 storeys. 3
C20 casements and C19 shop window converted to domestic use with diamond
leading; first floor, 3 C20 casements. One C19 half-glazed door and one plain
boarded door. The shopfront retains a C19 3-directional sign reading 'Lifebuoy
Soap - Sunlight Soap - No wear no tear no care' made by Roots and Heinemann of
Connersville, Indiana, under a patent of 1888. Jowled posts, close studding
with curved tension braces trenched to the inside, with some original wattle and
daub. Large wood-burning hearth of 0.33 m brickwork facing to right, and
another facing to left, altered at rear. Notches in the brickwork at the front
indicate that the original newel stair was just inside the front door. Diamond
mortices for unglazed windows at rear. A continuous chamfered axial beam with
lamb's tongue stops spans the 2 right bays and is jointed into a chamfered
transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops, an unusual construction. Plain joists
of vertical section. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in both wallplates. Clasped
purlin roof, with original partitions infilled with wattle and daub to apex.
RCHM 5.


Listing NGR: TL7473315958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.