History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II* Listed Building in Riby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5506 / 53°33'2"N

Longitude: -0.2134 / 0°12'48"W

OS Eastings: 518465

OS Northings: 407484

OS Grid: TA184074

Mapcode National: GBR VWYC.LX

Mapcode Global: WHHHX.P0LV

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146937

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196676

Location: Riby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN37

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Riby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Riby St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Keelby

Listing Text

TA 10 NE RIBY MAIN STREET

6/130 Church of
St. Edmund
1-11-66
II*

Parish Church C12, C13, C15, 1868, restoration by Ferrey.
Random limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone and ironstone
ashlar dressings slate roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle,
chancel. West door is late C13 with pointed moulded head and
floriate label stops, recutin C19. Above is a 3 light C13
geometric window, again heavily recut, most of the tracery
replaced, above again is a C19 sexfoil in a circular setting,
cross fleury at the gable. 2 stepped buttresses at either end.
West window of the south aisle is a late C13 2 light, recut in
C19, with hood mould and floriate label stops matching those on
the west door., North wall of nave is random rubble, a blocked
C12 doorway with plain jambs and chamfered imposts, facetted arch
and hood mould decorated with cable moulding with hobnails and
terminating in abraded beast headed label stops. 2 C19 2 light
windows in a late C13 style. North wall of north transept has a
single 3 light window in a late C13 pointed opening but with C19
reticulated tracery. Central .tower of coursed squared ironstone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Single storey above nave and aisle
roofs, single windows in each side of 2 lights, C14 with cusped
ogee heads and quatrefoils over moulded hood moulds with human
headed label stops. Gargoyles at angles with above a C15
crenellated and pinnacled parapet. Engaged octagonal stair
turret with domical roof in the angle between the north transept
and the chancel. Chancel north wall is blank. East wall of
chancel has stepped angle buttresses at either end and a single
1868 3 light window in the Geometric style. Chancel south wall
has a central buttress with to the east a recut late C13 door
with hood mould and floriate label stops. 2 windows, both 2
light, late C13 developed Y tracery, hood moulds and label stops,
mostly C19 now. South wall of south transept has a 3 light
reticulated window matching that to the north. The south aisle
wall is C19 with 3 two light C19 windows in the Geometric style
and matching the original fragments in the west wall of the south
aisle. Inside a late C13 north arcade of 3 bays, octagonal
piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches.
Similar arch into the north transept at the east end of the
aisle. Nave roof and corbels are C19. Crossing arches all
match those of the south arcade with engaged octagonal piers,
moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The tower vault
is 1868 matching the fine contemporary groined vault of the
chancel. The east window records the fact that George Tomline
"Rebuilt" the church in 1868. Memorials:- In the chancel are 3
good C18 hatchments and a wreathed marble urn on a pediment to
William Tomline, d.1742. Above is a small marble wall plaque
depicting a mourning female figure beside a Classical tomb, by P.
M. Van Gelder, dated 1806, and apparently designed by the member
of the Tomline family for whom it was erected. A striking marble
Gothic wall plaque to the Rev. John Parkinson, d,1840, in the
south aisle and a curious plaque to Richard Roadley, d,[email protected], on
the west nave wall depicting an urn containing bent (sorrowing)
flowers. At the east end of the nave are 2 sets of early C19
regimental colours.


Listing NGR: TA1846507484

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.