History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stubton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stubton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0312 / 53°1'52"N

Longitude: -0.6959 / 0°41'45"W

OS Eastings: 487554

OS Northings: 349003

OS Grid: SK875490

Mapcode National: GBR CM5.YPQ

Mapcode Global: WHGK2.82WK

Entry Name: Stubton Hall

Listing Date: 19 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1146985

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193975

Location: Stubton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG23

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Stubton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Stubton St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hough on the Hill

Listing Text

SK 84 NE STUBTON FENTON ROAD (east side)

3/86 Stubton Hall

19.2.52 II

Large country house, now school. 1813-14 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville, C18.
Gault brick range with ashlar dressings and shallow hipped concrete tile roof
with parapet and 4 ridge stacks. Attached to north-west, a small gault
brick house with concrete tile roof and single ridge stack. Attached to
north-west of latter, late C18 red brick service wing with earlier red brick
service wing set back but attached to north-west. Both have shallow hipped
concrete tile roofs and various stacks, the earlier C18 wing with leaded
octagonal cupola. Main range, north west front of 2 storeys, 5 bays with
slightly projecting central 3 bays. Plain stone plinth, ashlar first floor
band and moulded eaves. 3 shallow steps lead up to central doorway with plain
C19 doorcase with brackets and 3/4 glazed C19 doors. Flanked by 2 windows
with 5 smaller first floor windows, all with glazing bar sashes. Large
central early C19 Tuscan portico, 3 columns deep with wall pilasters, thought
to come from Beckingham Hall. 2 storey 3 bay east return, with projecting
ground floor central bay with blocked window and small pediment. First floor
band and parapet. Central bay flanked by long windows with 3 smaller windows
above, all with glazing bar sashes. 2 storey, 5 bay south-west front, the
central 3 bays projecting in shallow ball. Ashlar plinth, first floor band
and parapet. Central ground floor bay has C17 ashlar semi-circle of Tuscan
columns which are paired against the wall, thought to come from Fenton Hall
or Beckingham Hall. Central bow has 3 long glazing bar sashes flanked by
single tripartite windows under segmental heads. Above are 5 small glazing
bar sashes. Plaque attached to south front inscribed "This house was erected
by Robert and Amelia Heron in the years 1813 and 1814. "Jeffery Wyatt, Architect."


Listing NGR: SK8755449003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.