History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

40-43, West Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Alford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2599 / 53°15'35"N

Longitude: 0.1751 / 0°10'30"E

OS Eastings: 545184

OS Northings: 375864

OS Grid: TF451758

Mapcode National: GBR YZNR.P3

Mapcode Global: WHJLL.NBL6

Entry Name: 40-43, West Street

Listing Date: 30 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147075

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195564

Location: Alford, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Alford

Built-Up Area: Alford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Alford St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Alford

Listing Text

ALFORD WEST STREET
TF 4475-4575
(south east side)
6/41 Nos. 40 to 43 (consecutive)

G.V. II

6 almshouses and wall, now 4. 1870. Red brick with 2 blue
brick bands, ashlar and terracotta dressings, hipped slate roofs
with decorative ridge tiles and finials, 4 ridge stacks with
diamond set shafts. U-plan. Single storey with attics, 10 bay
front, the end bays are advanced and hipped. Plinth, moulded
terracotta string course, bracketed eaves. Central pair of half
glazed doors flanked by pairs of 2 light casement windows, single
doors and further single 2 light windows beyond. Above the
centre is a recessed square stone plaque recording foundation by
Sir Robert Christopher in 1668 and rebuilding in 1870, with above
a 4 light window in a gable. All windows have chamfered mullions
and surrounds, the doors with shouldered surrounds. In the
central gable is a scrolled cartouche of arms. To either side
are gabled 2 light dormer casements with carved bargeboards
supported on wooden brackets. Linking the advanced end bays is
a low pierced brick wall with ashlar coping and to either side of
the central gateway are square piers with pyramidal copings.


Listing NGR: TF4518475864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.