History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lovibond Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatfield Peverel, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7732 / 51°46'23"N

Longitude: 0.6048 / 0°36'17"E

OS Eastings: 579813

OS Northings: 211487

OS Grid: TL798114

Mapcode National: GBR QLG.XBD

Mapcode Global: VHJJY.FPMK

Entry Name: Lovibond Cottages

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115406

Location: Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Hatfield Peverel

Built-Up Area: Hatfield Peverel

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Witham

Listing Text

TL 7811-7911 HATFIELD PEVEREL MALDON ROAD
(north-east side)

12/65 Nos. 1-4 (consec)
Lovibond Cottages

GV II

Almshouses. 1820. Gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with slate. Block of 4
cottages facing SW, with 4 axial stacks. 4 C20 rear extensions of red brick in
stretcher bond, with flat roofs. One storey. 8 casements in Gothick style,
with 2-centred lights in square heads, and moulded plaster labels. 4 C20
half-glazed doors in C20 boarded porches with felted barrel vault roofs and
internal seats at sides. Each stack has 2 recesses in the front, and one at
each side, with 2-centred heads. Hipped roof of low pitch. Simple pilasters at
middle and ends of front elevation. Inscribed stone tablet 'These four
tenements were erected for the reception of two aged married couples, and two
aged single persons, either natives or very old inhabitants of this parish. G.L.
1st August 1820. H.C.L.'. Built and endowed by Martha Lovibond in accordance
with the wishes of her deceased daughter Harriet Catherine Lovibond under an
indenture of 21 October 1820, establishing 'The Hatfield Peverel invested Fund
for aged Poor' (Report of the Charity Commissioners, Essex, 901-3).


Listing NGR: TL7981311487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.