This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9666 / 50°57'59"N
Longitude: -3.9949 / 3°59'41"W
OS Eastings: 260013
OS Northings: 120472
OS Grid: SS600204
Mapcode National: GBR KT.MHR3
Mapcode Global: FRA 26JK.7H0
Entry Name: Old George Inn
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91725
Location: High Bickington, Torridge, Devon, EX37
Civil Parish: High Bickington
Built-Up Area: High Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: High Bickington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HIGH BICKINGTON POPLAR ROW
SS 60 20
15/109 Old George Inn
House, now inn. Late C16 or early C17, enlarged and remodelled in the late C18 or
early C19. Late C20 internal alterations.
Rendered over cob and stone rubble. Gable-ended thatched roof. Rendered lateral
stack and end stack.
Plan and development: Circa 1600 two-room central-entrance plan with external lateral
stacks to rear of each room. Late C18 or early C19 one-roomed addition to right
(possibly a rebuilding of an earlier addition) with an external end stack and an
entrance to the front. Late C20 alterations included the removal of the internal
partitions flanking the entrance hall/passage, and the truncation of the left-hand
rear stack with the insertion of a staircase to the rear of the fireplace. The
location of the earlier staircase is not known but it might have risen from the front
door. The front wall might have been rebuilt in stone in the late C18 or early C19
(see stone jambs to ground-floor windows). Two storeys.
Exterior: Asymmetrical front with 4 windows to the first floor and 3 to the ground
floor; c.1800 small-paned 2-light wooden casements with stone cills. Symmetrical
front to c.1600 left-hand range has round-arched recessed doorway with C20 half-
glazed door and c.1800 blind radial fanlight. Round-arched recessed doorway to left
of right-hand window has C19 plank door with strap hinges, chamfered wooden frame and
Interior: Ground-floor room of c.1600 range (internal partitions removed) has plain
joists spanning front to back and c.1600 fireplaces with stone jambs and chamfered
wooden lintels. Fireplace in right-hand ground-floor room has probably reused C17
chamfered wooden lintel with stepped stops. Late C16 or early C17 three-bay roof
with 2 trusses consisting of straight principals with pegged halved apices and pegged
halved lap-jointed collars. Formerly with trenched purlins (replaced in C20). Full-
height cob end walls to c.1600 range. Nailed-collar truss over right-hand addition.
Poplar Row was formerly known as Poplar Terrace.
Listing NGR: SS6001520473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings