History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn 40 Metres East South East of Great Oakley Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Oakley, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9081 / 51°54'29"N

Longitude: 1.2073 / 1°12'26"E

OS Eastings: 620711

OS Northings: 228148

OS Grid: TM207281

Mapcode National: GBR VR1.62Z

Mapcode Global: VHLCL.W94L

Entry Name: Barn 40 Metres East South East of Great Oakley Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Last Amended: 31 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120269

Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Great Oakley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Parkeston

Listing Text

GREAT OAKLEY HARWICH ROAD
TM 22 NW (north-west side)

4/27 Barn 40 metres east-
south-east of Great
Oakley Hall Farmhouse

GV II

Barn. C18. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed mainly with corrugated iron,
with some handmade red clay tiles on the SE midstrey. 13 bays aligned NW-SE,
with 2 midstreys each of 2 bays to SW. Early C19 slate-roofed lean-to extension
to NW of NW midstrey, later C19 slate-roofed lean-to extension between the
midstreys. Large C20 open lean-to shelter to NE. Minor repairs to the walls in
red brick in Flemish bond. Hardwood frame with primary straight bracing and
clasped purlin roof. The 4 NW bays and midstrey were built first, with arched
braces to the tiebeams and to the wallplate across the midstrey, and without a
ridge. The remainder was added later in the C18, with bolted knees to the
tiebeams and to the wallplate across the midstrey. The NW lean-to extension is
shown in the tithe award of 1841 (Essex Record Office, D/CT 258). Associated
with a farm of 600 acres until c.1914. In 1985 in use for bulk grain storage.


Listing NGR: TM2071128148

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.