History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8724 / 53°52'20"N

Longitude: -2.5966 / 2°35'47"W

OS Eastings: 360871

OS Northings: 441961

OS Grid: SD608419

Mapcode National: GBR BR9N.NL

Mapcode Global: WH967.2XTR

Entry Name: Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182958

Location: Chipping, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Chipping

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Chipping St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chipping

Listing Text

SD 64 SW CHIPPING PARSONAGE LANE

4/71 Old Vicarage
13.2.67

II*


House, 1668 with earlier, possibly C16th, remains. Sandstone rubble with
stone slate roof at the front and slate roof at the rear. Now a central-
entry plan with end stacks and single-storey porch. 2 storeys. Windows
double-chamfered with mullions. To the left of the porch is one of
4 lights with a hood, with a similar one to the right of the porch. On
the 1st floor is a 4-light window to the left, a 2-light window near the
middle and reconstructed 2-light window to the right. The porch has a
stone slate roof with finial. Some of its stone has C19th tooling, but
the wide chamfered outer doorway has a lintel with a false 4-centred
arch. The inner chamfer doorway has '1668' incised on the lintel. The
right-hand (east) gable has 2 one-light blocked chamfered windows on the
1st floor. The rear wall also has double-chamfered mullioned windows,
with hoods to those on the ground floor. To the right is one formerly
of 4 lights, now with 2 mullions. Towards the middle is one of 2 lights,
with a modern extension to the left. On the 1st floor are 2 2-light
windows with a 4-light window to the right. Interior. The front door
opens into a lobby with a reconstructed spiral stone stair. The internal
walls are timber-framed, with chamfered wooden doorways with triangular
heads opening from the lobby to left and right. The right-hand front
room has a moulded shouldered stone fireplace with cornice mantel and a
lintel having moulded panels and a fluted false keystone. The left-hand room
has a projecting chimney breast and a modern fireplace. On the 1st floor
the left-hand partition wall has herringbone bracing to the studs, with a
king post rising from the tie, visible in the attic, and also having
herringbone bracing. The right-hand truss has raking queen struts. Against
the front wall the tie beam is braced downwards to a jowled post, just
visible above the stair. This suggests the possibility that the house was
once timber-framed and later encased in stone. Until 1811 the house was
Chipping vicarage. John Wesley stayed there, and in 1753 preached after
being prevented from speaking in the church.


Listing NGR: SD6087141961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.