History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gay House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Oakley, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.901 / 51°54'3"N

Longitude: 1.1903 / 1°11'24"E

OS Eastings: 619571

OS Northings: 227300

OS Grid: TM195273

Mapcode National: GBR VR0.V19

Mapcode Global: VHLCL.LH32

Entry Name: Gay House

Listing Date: 20 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120276

Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Great Oakley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Parkeston

Listing Text

GREAT OAKLEY PESTHOUSE LANE
TM 1827-1927 (north-west side)

7/34
20.1.86 Gay House

II

House. C17, extended in C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with
red clay pantiles. 4 bays facing SE with axial stack in second bay from left
end. C18/19 extension to right. C20 single-storey lean-to extension to rear.
Large C20 2-storey crosswing to left. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 6
C20 casements. First floor, one more, and 3 in slated lean-to dormers. C20
half-glazed door at front of gabled porch. Jowled posts. Primary straight
bracing. Chamfered axial and transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops, plain
joists of vertical section. 2 large wood-burning hearths. Roof ceiled. In the
C20 left extension is a re-used C16 floor structure, with a chamfered axial beam
and joists of horizontal section jointed to it with soffit tenons with
diminished haunches, reported to have come from an agricultural building c.1965,
and other re-used timber. Shown under the same name in the tithe award of 1841,
without farm buildings, as part of Maltings Farm, 58 acres. Essex Record
Office, D/CT 158)


Listing NGR: TM1957127300

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.