History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Ss 523 152

A Grade II Listed Building in Merton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9177 / 50°55'3"N

Longitude: -4.1023 / 4°6'8"W

OS Eastings: 252316

OS Northings: 115237

OS Grid: SS523152

Mapcode National: GBR KP.QDL4

Mapcode Global: FRA 269P.1ML

Entry Name: Barn at Ss 523 152

Listing Date: 16 February 1989

Last Amended: 7 May 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147347

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91752

Location: Merton, Torridge, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Merton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Merton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Beaford

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

MERTON

SS 51 NW
7/136 Barn known as "The
Barracks" at SS 524 159

the address shall be amended to read:

MERTON

Barn at SS 523 152

------------------------------------
MERTON
SS 51 NW
7/136 Barn known as "The Barracks" at
- SS 524 159

II

Barn. Dated 1734. Walls of roughly squared rubble lined internally with brick.
Slate roof gabled at right end, hipped at left-hand end.
Plan: Rectangular plan with threshing floor off-centre. There is evidence, however, that the building was originally L-shaped.
Exterior: Single storey. Asymmetrical front with wide cart entrance to right of
centre with projecting rubble buttress to either side and to right. Slit opening
with dressed stone surround to left. Low doorway with brick arch to left of front.
Two thirds of the way along the left of the front is a straight joint and the
stonework beyond it changes - probably where it has been infilled when the wing
projecting from it was demolished. What remains of this wing is a section of its
outer wall, capped with slate, projecting from the left end of the barn. In the
right-hand gable wall are 4 slits in 2 rows with a sandstone plaque inscribed 1734 at the centre. Rear elevation has a blocked cart entrance to left of centre with slit opening to its left and 2 to its right.
Interior: C18 roof trusses with trenched purlins, lapped and pegged collars and tie beams.


Listing NGR: SS5231615236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.