History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stukeley House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stamford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6533 / 52°39'12"N

Longitude: -0.4822 / 0°28'55"W

OS Eastings: 502773

OS Northings: 307259

OS Grid: TF027072

Mapcode National: GBR FVR.QWR

Mapcode Global: WHGLX.KKMR

Entry Name: Stukeley House

Listing Date: 22 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147402

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193474

Location: Stamford, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE9

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Stamford

Built-Up Area: Stamford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Stamford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Stamford

Listing Text

1.
1671 BARN HILL
(East Side)
No 9 (Stukeley House)
TF 0207 1/31 22.5.54.
II* GV
2.
Mid C18 house of 2 storeys and attics in ashlar. Mansard roof of stone slates
with 3 cambered dormers. Plinth. 3 windows with ui+usual treatment. The outer
ones have a central hung sash with single side lights under a cambered head. fliw
jambs consist of small pilasters. Centre window of a single liglt, cambered
head. Those on the ground floor have narrow rusticated frames, and arch to centre
one. Projecting porch with 2 columns in Greek Doric of early C19 date. Door
of 6 panels, 2 glass, with reeded ingoes and a small segmental glazed fanlight.
3 steps. Inset foot scraper. This house is said to be the site of the residence
of William Stukeley, the antiquary, while he was Vicar of All Saints, Stamford,
in the early Cl8. It stands on the site of an earlier house from which Charles
I escaped in disguise prior to his capture in 1646. House designed by George
Portwood, Stamford's leading architect, in 1741. (pevsner).

Garage premises to No 9A,9A,9,10, Sunday School and Nos 12 to 17 (consec) together
with Nos 1 to 8 (consec), All Saints' Place form a group.


Listing NGR: TF0277307259

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.