This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0745 / 53°4'28"N
Longitude: -0.635 / 0°38'6"W
OS Eastings: 491544
OS Northings: 353899
OS Grid: SK915538
Mapcode National: GBR DN6.893
Mapcode Global: WHGJQ.6ZWD
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 23 August 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192373
Location: Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN5
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Brant Broughton and Stragglethorpe
Built-Up Area: Brant Broughton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Brant Broughton St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
BRANT BROUGHTON AND STRAGGLETHORPE CHURCH WALK
SK 95 SW
Church of St Helen
Parish church. C11, C13, late C14 and early C16. 1812. 1873-76 restored and
altered by G F Bodley for Canon Frederick Sutton. He rebuilt the early C19
chancel and added the vestry and north chapel all in a late decorated style.
West steeple and nave with aisles and porches. chancel with north chapel and
vestry. Limestone ashlar with lead roofs. Angle gabled buttresses with set-offs
and heavily moulded plinth throughout. Battlements to nave and aisles decorated
with shields, and a quatrefoil carved parapet to chancel, all with crocketed
pinnacles and gargoyles. All openings have hood moulds with head label stops.
Tower, first stage has a 3 light window with geometric tracery to the west.
The second stage has a single lancet to each face. The third stage has deeply
recessed 2 light bell openings with reticulated tracery, and a clock added 1881
by William Potts of Leeds. Above a fleuron frieze with gargoyles topped with
alternating stages of lucarnes rises to 198 feet in height. The west aisle
windows are 2 light with plate tracery. The early C16, 5 bay clerestory with
moulded hood band has 3 light cusped panel tracery windows in 4 centred arched
cavetto chamfered surrounds. The late C14, 4 bay north aisle has 3, 3 light
ornate cusped panel tracery windows in cavetto chamfered surrounds with fleuron.
The buttresses have niches. The gabled porch has an openwork quatrefoil parapet
and head frieze with a niche above a columned arch, recessed within a chamfered
surround. Inside stone benches and a 2 bay sexpartite vault supported on leaf
bracket and with carved bosses. The door is within a double cusp chamfered
pointed arch. The 2 bay north chapel has 3 light windows, copies of those in
the north aisle. The chancel east window is 5 light with reticulated tracery,
and the 3 south windows are 4 light with flowing tracery. The 4, bay south aisle
lids 3 windows similar to those in the north aisle, though here under segment
Birches. The south porch is also similar to that on the north though plainer.
'[t.iturior has 3 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches on tall octangonal
piers and responds with moulded capitals and bases. The roof line of the earlier
nave is visible above the tall tower arch which like the chancel arch has
compound piers. Carefully restored early C16 angel nave roof, elaborately
painted. Ornate C15 octagonal font with elaborate cover by T Garner 1889.
Choirstalls pulpit and chancel screen by Bodley, 1890 with roof of 1919. Chancel
has wood and plaster lierne vault, also elaborately painted. Elaborate marble
reredos incorporating late C15 German 'Ascension'. Piscina and triple arched
sedilia. Organ designed by Canon Sutton with cover by Bodley of 1906. Stained
glass throughout designed by Canon sutton, who also designed brass candlesticks
and candelabra, except for the east windows by Burlison and Grylls. Recon-
structed monument to Danbrey family in north chapel, a tomb chest with shields
Listing NGR: SK9154053897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings