This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.673 / 50°40'22"N
Longitude: -3.8403 / 3°50'25"W
OS Eastings: 270058
OS Northings: 87546
OS Grid: SX700875
Mapcode National: GBR QB.YWS9
Mapcode Global: FRA 27V9.7QW
Entry Name: The Market House
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94691
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Chagford
Built-Up Area: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 7087 CHAGFORD THE SQUARE, Chagford
6/162 The Market House
Market house. Built in 1862 on site of former market house, modernised circa 1970.
Granite stone rubble with granite ashlar detail; slate roof.
Plan: octagonal market house facing south-east. The rear section has always
contained public lavatories either side of a small room. The front was originally
open but is now filled with small shops. Front door to central stairwell up to a
first floor room in the roofspace.
Exterior: the front side contains a large 2-centred arched doorway with chamfered
surround. Its head is filled with an iron grille. There is a gable above containing
an uninscribed plaque. The flanking 2 sides have now been filled with shops. The
corner posts between has a battered plinths and soffit-chamfered caps. The
lavatories each have a narrow 2-centred arch doorway and the rear room contains a
large 2-light window with Decorated Gothic tracery. Pyramid roof has gabled dormers
containing arch-headed fixed pane windows and, at the apex, a louvred lantern topped
by a narrow spire and wrought iron weather vane.
Interior modernised circa 1970.
The site is that of a C16 market house and court house; first mentioned 1574.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SX7005787547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings