History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aswarby and Swarby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9523 / 52°57'8"N

Longitude: -0.4429 / 0°26'34"W

OS Eastings: 504707

OS Northings: 340568

OS Grid: TF047405

Mapcode National: GBR FR4.W9S

Mapcode Global: WHGKL.52B1

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192656

Location: Aswarby and Swarby, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Aswarby and Swarby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: South Lafford

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Aswarby

Listing Text

TF 04 SW ASWARBY AND SWARBY SWARBY LANE
(south side)

4/21 Parish Church of St.
Mary and All Saints.
1.2.67
II*

Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1886-7, south aisle of 1886. Coursed
limestone rubble, ashlar, plain tiled end leaded roofs with raised stone
coped gables. West tower, nave, north and south aisles and chancel. 3 stage
C15 west tower with chamfered plinth and string courses, stepped set back
buttresses and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles. In the belfry stage
are paired louvered openings with pointed heads to the lights, trefoils and
hollow chamfered surrounds. To the west is a tall 3 light window matching
the rest to the ground floor and to the middle stage a 4 centred arched
panel containing 2 tiers of paired blank openings, they are repeated on the
side walls. In the west wall of the south aisle is a C19 single light
window with cusped tracery and moulded surround. The north aisle has a pair
of C14 reticulated 3 light windows in rectangular surrounds and a blocked
doorway with a plain ashlar surround. The C19 chancel has a pair of lancets
to the north and the east window is of 3 lights with geometric tracery. On
the south side is a blocked priest's door with chamfered surround and a
single lancet. The south aisle has stepped buttresses with crockets and
human head stops. C19 single light east window with cusped tracery. To the
south are 3 two light windows with C14 shafted reveals but now with cusped
C19 tracery and cambered arched heads. The south door has C14 reveals with
paired shafts and fleurons but the head and hood are C19 work. Interior: 3
bay C13 north nave arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double
chamfered arches. C14 south arcade of 3 bays with hollow chamfered
quatrefoil piers and floriate capitals to the labels. The 4 centred arches
are continuously moulded with fillets to the outer order. C13 tower arch
with double chamfered reveals, facetted capitals and pointed double
chamfered arch. Tall C19 chancel arch, continuosly moulded with floriate
capitals. To the north is a rood loft doorway with chamfered rectangular
surround and a 4 centred arched doorway at higher level. Also a C13 carving
of Christ in Majesty, the head of which is missing. In the chancel is a C14
piscina in the south wall with beast head supporter and C19 arched top. In
the east wall is a C14 statue bracket with crocketed and pinnacled canopy.
Fittings: Early C18 raised and fielded panelled pulpit with moulded cornice
and intarsia stars. Otherwise all is C19, including the circular ashlar
font with blank trefoil panels to the sides and octagonal legs. Monument:
On the north wall of the chancel is a rectangular ashlar wall plaque to
Anthony Williams, d. 1681. It has a moulded surround with a ramped top
supporting a shield of arms and an obelisk. Beneath is a reset C15 corbel,
now supporting a C19 book stand.


Listing NGR: TF0470740568

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.