This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4031 / 50°24'11"N
Longitude: -3.6211 / 3°37'15"W
OS Eastings: 284893
OS Northings: 57172
OS Grid: SX848571
Mapcode National: GBR QQ.85B8
Mapcode Global: FRA 379Z.H44
Entry Name: Church Hall the Gate House
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100665
Location: Stoke Gabriel, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Gabriel
Built-Up Area: Stoke Gabriel
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Gabriel St Gabriel
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8457 STOKE GABRIEL CHURCH WALK
14/119 No 4, Church Hall and
the Gate House
Former National School (now Church Hall) and adjoining Master's house (No 4) with a
cottage (The Gate House) adjoining on opposite side of the School. The school and
master's house 1842, restored 1897 although probably C18 or earlier origin. Roughcast
stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with gabled and hipped ends. Two storeys. Four
window range. The school at centre has two large sashes on each floor and central
double doors with carved stone plaque above inscribed "National Schools Established
August 31, 1842. Restored by Voluntary Subscription 1897." Master's house to
right, one sash window on each floor, ground floor with thick glazing bars, and
panelled and glazed door with wooden lattice porch. Rendered end chimney stacks.
The Gate House to left (south) has C19 casement, sash and bay windows and two large
chimney stacks over the side wall.
Listing NGR: SX8489357169
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings