History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Estate Cottages (Entrance Lodges to Denton Park)

A Grade II Listed Building in Denton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8796 / 52°52'46"N

Longitude: -0.7093 / 0°42'33"W

OS Eastings: 486957

OS Northings: 332133

OS Grid: SK869321

Mapcode National: GBR CP3.FHR

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.2WH8

Entry Name: Estate Cottages (Entrance Lodges to Denton Park)

Listing Date: 21 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193307

Location: Denton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Denton

Built-Up Area: Denton (South Kesteven)

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Denton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

DENTON MAIN STREET
SK 8632-8732
(west side)
10/66 Estate Cottages Nos 63
and 64 (Entrance lodges
to Denton Park)
21.9.79
II
Gateway, pair of gates, flanking lodges. 1898 in Jacobethan
style, possibly by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Coursed ironstone
rubble with limestone ashlar quoins and dressings, plain tiled
roof with raised moulded stone coped gables and ball finials.
Wrought iron gates. 2 stone gable stacks with ashlar quoins and
cornices. Central gateway set in gate lodges with flanking walls
containing garden gateways. 2 storey with attics, 3 bay front
having plinth, central semi-circular archway with semi-circular
responds and imposts, flanked by single 4 light windows with king
mullions. To first floor over the archway an ashlar panel
containing coat of arms and inscription "Perignum per gladium",
set in moulded surround which connects to short section of string
course terminating in inscribed shields. To either side are
single 3 light windows. Above the plaque a smaller 3 light
window. All windows have stone ovolo moulded mullions, diamond
leaded casements and cornices. In the 3 gables are small keyed
oculi. The lead rainwater pipes are dated 1898. The pair of
wrought iron gates have scrolled central rail, ramped tops and
knot motif in the centre. The flanking walls each have 2 ashlar
piers with finials, shaped parapets over the garden gateways.
Main gateway to Denton Park designed for Welby family.


Listing NGR: SK8695732133

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.