History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rolls Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Terling, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7976 / 51°47'51"N

Longitude: 0.5494 / 0°32'57"E

OS Eastings: 575892

OS Northings: 214064

OS Grid: TL758140

Mapcode National: GBR PJW.7Q9

Mapcode Global: VHJJX.G2ST

Entry Name: Rolls Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115504

Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Terling

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TERLING SPARROWS FARM ROAD
TL 71 SE
(south side)
5/156 Rolls Farmhouse

GV II

House, now 2 houses. Early C17, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing NE, with 2 axial
stacks. Rear wings at both ends, probably C19, and single-storey lean-to
extension between, roofed with red clay 'Roman' tiles. 2 storeys with attics.
3-window range of C20 sashes. Half-glazed door with marginal lights in C20
gabled porch. 3 feature gables. 3 C19/C20 diagonal shafts on each stack. Right
return wall bricked on ground floor only. The interior is mainly plastered,
with beams boxed in. Chamfered axial beams above first floor, with lamb's
tongue stops. Original floorboards at first floor and attic. On first floor,
small section of original oak panelling, painted, and original oak panelled
cupboard door. House to right not examined internally. The farm, with 50
acres, was let by Sir Thomas Mildmay from 1581 to 1617, when the freehold was
sold to a London buyer (Essex Record Office, D/DRa T.63). The present house
probably dates from then.


Listing NGR: TL7589214064

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.