This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.856 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: 1.1467 / 1°8'48"E
OS Eastings: 616793
OS Northings: 222174
OS Grid: TM167221
Mapcode National: GBR TQ6.NQ0
Mapcode Global: VHLCR.TML1
Entry Name: Barnard's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120308
Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
THORPE-LE-SOKEN COLCHESTER ROAD
TM 1622-1722 (south side)
8/79 Barnard's Farmhouse
House. Circa 1600, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing NW, with almost central stack. C20
slate-roofed single-storey lean-to extension along full length of rear, and
smaller lean-to beyond. 2 storeys. NW elevation, one C20 casement only, on the
ground floor. NE elevation, 3 C20 casements on the ground floor, 2 on the first
floor, and C20 half-glazed door to left of gabled porch. Grouped diagonal
shafts, plastered. Jowled posts, heavy close studding. Chamfered axial beams
with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of horizontal section. 2 large
wood-burning hearths (one with minor repairs to brickwork), the mantel beams
chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. On the first floor, at the front, a blocked
original window with 2 ovolo mullions, saddle bars missing, with shutter groove.
Other blocked original windows, the mullions missing, with shutter grooves.
Clasped purlin roof.
Listing NGR: TM1679322174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings