History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, St Thomas and All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Foulness, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.602 / 51°36'7"N

Longitude: 0.8923 / 0°53'32"E

OS Eastings: 600396

OS Northings: 193206

OS Grid: TR003932

Mapcode National: GBR SRM.JDR

Mapcode Global: VHKHB.FZ2R

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin, St Thomas and All Saints

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147648

English Heritage Legacy ID: 123123

Location: Foulness, Rochford, Essex, SS3

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Foulness

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Burnham on Crouch

Listing Text

FOULNESS CHURCH END
TR 09 SW
9/98 Church of St. Mary the
Virgin, St. Thomas and
All Saints
GV II
Parish Church. Circa 1853. William Hambley. On the site of a Chapel
re-established by Lady Joan de Bohun 1386 and a later timber framed church.
Kentish ragstone. Stone dressings. 3 steeply pitched grey slate roofs, gabled
to east and west. South tower with porch. Chancel, nave and aisles and north
vestry. Early English style. Buttresses to all angles and between windows.
East face 1:1:1 windows chamfered 2-centred heads. Labels with real and
stylised heads to all nave windows. Chancel window of 3 graduated lights, there
is also a similar window high up in the north aisle wall. Plinth. Bench mark
to southern buttress. Cross to Chancel apex. South face. 1:3:2 similar
windows and labels, plinth carries through. The south tower with finial to
octagonal shingle spire is hipped at the base. Tower of 3 orders, angle
buttresses to 2 stages, corbel table to belfry which has angle pilasters and
lancet sounding louvres to each face. Second stage, quatrefoiled roundels to
east and west faces, band below. Curved triangular recess with circular window
to south face, band below. Chamfered 2-centred arch to doorway, moulded label
with King and Queen stops, vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. Original
iron lantern over doorway. Small lancet windows to side walls. West face.
1:1:1 similar windows with labels, that to Nave of 2 lights with quatrefoil
over, pointed elliptical window to apex, band and plinth carried through, stone
parapet verges. North face 1:0:4 similar windows, north doorway, 2-centred
head, chamfered of 2 orders, label with king and queen head stops, pediment
over, vertically boarded door, 2 ornate strap hinges. North vestry doorway
Caernarvon head, vertically boarded door. Interior. South doorway, simple
chamfered 2-centred arch, vertically boarded door, ornate strap hinges. Aisles,
roofs, side purlin ridge board construction, intermittant collars and ashlar
posts. Nave and chancel roofs, double side purlins, ridge boards and ashlar
post, intermittant collars, wall posts on corbels, stop chamfered pincipals,
moulded wall plates. Stone flag floors throughout excepting coloured tiles to
Sanctuary. Chancel, C19 stained glass to north and south windows. Wooden
panelled reredos, side panels with wheat and vine motifs, 4 Evangelists to
centre panels in poker work. Square head to north vestry doorway. Moulded
wooden altar rails. Simple 2 centred Chancel arch. North and south arcades of
5 bays, moulded capitals and bases to alternate round and octagonal columns and
responds. Octagonal panelled pulpit, moulded cornice and soffit, braces to
soffit, chamfered balusters to steps. Painted organ case with trefoiled
roundels, a plaque states the organ won a gold medal 1866 at an exhibition, it
was purchased from North Ockendon, Essex, Church 10 March 1908. Wooden eagle
lectern 1930. Wall memorial to Rt. Hon. George Henry Finch, Earl of Winchelsea,
MP for Rutland for 40 years, May 1907. Panelled box pews, complete with gates.
Simple round bowl to font, octagonal soffit and stem, moulded base, carved
wooden lid. Bequest board, Rev. Thos. Ellwood, 1815, bequeathed the interest of
£100 twice a year to the poor. Trinity House donated money for the building of
this Church with the provision that the steeple be high enough to act as a
landmark for navigation. Pevsner, Essex 1976.


Listing NGR: TR0039693206

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.