This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5825 / 50°34'57"N
Longitude: -3.5519 / 3°33'6"W
OS Eastings: 290224
OS Northings: 77017
OS Grid: SX902770
Mapcode National: GBR P1.0682
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GJ.D2M
Entry Name: Chapel of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85722
Location: Bishopsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Bishopsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ideford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 97 NW
8/59 Chapel of St John the Evangelist
Chapel of ease to Bishopsteignton parish church. Plans by an amateur architect,
William Tozer of Teignmouth, drawnup in 1852. Grey limestone rubble with Bathstone
dressings ; steep red tiled roof with sprocketted eaves.
Plan: A small chapel sited in farm land just outside the village of Luton. Nave with
west end bellcote, chancel, south porch, small lean-to north-east vestry. Some
Decorated, some Perpendicular details.
Exterior: Chancel with platband below the east window, returning on both north and
south sides. 3-light Decorated east window with carved label stops ; cusped
triangular window on south side ; small lean-to north east vestry with a stone stack
with truncated shaft. Buttressed nave with angle buttresses at the west and 3-light
square-headed cusped windows, two to the north side, one to the south side. Gabled
west end bellcote with 2 small slit windows with a heavy hoodmould, 2-light Decorated
west window central west end buttress. Pretty gabled south porch, the side walls
with open, trefoil-headed timber arcading on low stone walls.
Interior: Modest. Plastered walls, brick rere arches to windows and door ; double-
chamfered chancel arch ; collar rafter nave roof with straight struts below the
collar ; boarded canted wagon to chancel with roll-moulded ribs and a pretty painted
scheme of stencilling and roundels dating from 1884, commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle :
co-eval diaper designs on the walls have been removed. The chancel has a simple tile
pattern on the floor, a probably early C20 timber nowy-headed reredos and a plain
1852 communion rail. The sill of the south window is brought down as a recessed seat
with a chamfered arch ; vestry door with cranked lintel on north side ; heavy string
course rises as a hoodmould to the vestry door and south side seat. Plain nave with
openwork timber drum pulpit ; font with deep octagonal bowl and clustered marble
shafts to the stem on a moulded plinth. Benches, some designated "Free" with Y-
Memorials and Glass Brass plaque in chancel commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle, died 1884.
East window, circa 1880s, probably by Drake of Exeter ; quarry and border west window
"removed from the mother church" (inscription), in 1886.
Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SX9022477017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings