This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9187 / 50°55'7"N
Longitude: -3.3057 / 3°18'20"W
OS Eastings: 308315
OS Northings: 114055
OS Grid: ST083140
Mapcode National: GBR LR.QJC6
Mapcode Global: FRA 36YP.5Z4
Entry Name: Spiceland Meeting and Caretaker's House
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Last Amended: 4 May 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95893
Location: Culmstock, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Culmstock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Culmstock All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/12/2016
ST 01 SE,
Spiceland meeting and caretaker's house
Friends meeting house with caretaker's accommodation. A late C17 meeting house was
completely rebuilt in 1815 according to the date plaque, and another plaque records
"Daniel Henson, builder 1815". Local stone rubble with brick dressing; stone rubble
stack with brick chimney shaft, slate roof.
PLAN: the building faces south-south-east, say south. The main part to right
(east) is the large meeting house with the left end occupied by the small meeting
house and cloakroom with gallery over. There is a stack in the left (east) end
heating the small meeting house and the small lean-to extension which forms part of
EXTERIOR: the 4-bay front of the main block contains the doorway, left of centre
between 3 full height round-arched windows containing sash windows with margin panes
and top radial glazing bars. (There is another similar in the east end). The
doorway has a segmental head and contains double fielded-panel doors. Above it is
the date plaque inscribed "Built in 1670, rebuilt in 1815". The roof is hipped both
ends. The lean-to extension has C20 door and C20 casements with glazing bars.
Good INTERIOR: the principal division is that between the large and small meeting
houses, and it is made up of fielded panelling including vertically sliding
shutters. All the joinery detail including the doors with wooden catches, the small
meeting house chimneypiece, the original furniture, the rostrum etc. is all of
unpainted pine; the effect of this with whitewashed walls is simple and peaceful.
Roof of C19 king-post trusses.
This Friends Meeting House is complete with all its original (1815) fittings. Stell
regards it as "an outstanding specimen of its kind".
Listing NGR: ST0831514055
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings