This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8574 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: 1.1641 / 1°9'50"E
OS Eastings: 617985
OS Northings: 222381
OS Grid: TM179223
Mapcode National: GBR VRK.F52
Mapcode Global: VHLCS.4K8Z
Entry Name: Thorpe Baptist Church
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120314
Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Built-Up Area: Thorpe-le-Soken
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
THORPE-LE-SOKEN HIGH STREET
TM 1622-1722 (north-east side)
8/85 Thorpe Baptist
Baptist church. 1803. Timber framed, weatherboarded and roughcast, roofed with
old grey slates. Rectangular plan facing SW, with single-storey block to rear.
2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 C19/early C20 sashes of 16 lights. First floor, 2
original sashes of 4 + 8 lights, with crown glass. C20 double doors, with
original gabled canopy on scrolled brackets, boarded later on left side only.
Front elevation roughcast, remainder weatherboarded. Hipped roof of shallow
pitch with lead hip-ridges and long overhanging eaves with paired brackets. The
left return has on the ground floor 2 original sashes of 16 lights, and 2 of 12
lights, and on the first floor 2 original sashes of 4 + 8 lights. The right
return has on the ground floor 2 original sashes of 16 lights and on the first
floor 2 original sashes of 4 + 8 lights. Most of the original sashes contain
crown glass. The rear block has a hipped slate roof. The rear elevation of the
main hall has on the upper storey 2 sashes of 12 lights with semi-circular
heads. The interior is of one storey with at the SW end a gallery with panelled
front supported on cast iron stanchions, added in 1820 (E.A. Wood, A History of
Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975, 64, 105).
Listing NGR: TM1798722385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings