This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4722 / 51°28'20"N
Longitude: 0.2925 / 0°17'32"E
OS Eastings: 559313
OS Northings: 177298
OS Grid: TQ593772
Mapcode National: GBR XY.SH9
Mapcode Global: VHHNW.08Y7
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 8 February 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119798
Location: Thurrock, RM20
Electoral Ward/Division: West Thurrock and South Stiffo
Built-Up Area: Grays
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Grays St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
5221 ST CLEMENTS ROAD
Church of St Clement
TQ 57 NE 9/7 8.2.60
C13, with C14 and C15 alterations. Flint and ragstone rubble with Reigate
dressings. Tiled roofs. C13 chancel, has C19 east window with late C13
window incorporated. North wall has C13 window with trefoiled head. North
arcade is C14, with 2 centred arches of 2 chamfered arches. Octagonal piers
and responds have moulded bases and capitals. South wall has C13 window
with trefoiled head and a C13 doorway with 2 centred head. South arcade
is similar to north arcade. Late C14 chancel arch. C13 north chapel has
original east window of 2 trefoiled lights and quatrefoil in a 2 centred
head North wall has early C14 window of 2 trefoiled lights, and a C14 window
set into a C13 window. West arch is C13, of one chamfered order. C19 south
chapel has C13 west arch matching that in north chapel. C13 nave has original
north arcade of 2 bays with 2 centred arches. C13 south arcade, possibly
constructed C14. C12 north aisle has C19 window in north wall, and circa
1200 north doorway, with 2 centred head and segmental rear arch. C12 west
window with small pointed light. C12, south aisle has C19 south window and
C18 south doorway. C15 west tower of 3 stages, with an embattled parapet.
Walls are alternate bands of Reigate stone and knapped flint. Top stage
is of brick added in 1640. Tower arch is late C15 and 2 centred. South
wall has window with one trefoiled light. C15 west door with moulded jambs
and 2 centred head. C15 window above. Second stage has C15 west window.
C18 bell chamber has 4 original window. C15 north and south doors. Brasses
and Monument (Halford and wife 1608) with reclining figures.
Listing NGR: TQ5931377298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.