This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9729 / 52°58'22"N
Longitude: 0.0499 / 0°2'59"E
OS Eastings: 537749
OS Northings: 343693
OS Grid: TF377436
Mapcode National: GBR KXX.MFC
Mapcode Global: WHHLR.QJZR
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 19 November 1951
Last Amended: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147704
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191997
Location: Freiston, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE22
Civil Parish: Freiston
Built-Up Area: Freiston
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Freiston St James
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 34 SE FREISTON CHURCH END ROAD
12/81 The Priory
(formerly listed as
Former vicarage, now house. Built on the site of Frieston Priory
and possibly incorporating some earlier stonework. Late C16, C17
with early C18 and early C19 alterations. Red brick in English
and Flemish bonds with ashlar quoins and band. Plain and clay
tiled roof with brick coped tumbled gables and kneelers. 2 gable
and single ridge stacks with moulded plinth and pairs of
diagonally set brick shafts. The rear range has 2 external wall
stacks with diagonally set shafts and knopped gable, with moulded
ashlar kneeler. Parallel ranges plan, the rear range is C16, the
front range a C17 addition refronted c.1720. 2 storey plus
garret, 7 bay front, with central 6 panel door with overlight,
panelled reveals, fluted pilasters and frieze to pedimented
doorcase, flanked by 3 glazing bar sashes, with rubbed brick
splayed arches. To first floor 7 similar windows. The gable
walls have plinths and circular lights to the garret. Interior.
Retains late C16 dogleg staircase with large balusters, moulded
eandrail, knopped newel, pulvinated frieze to closed string.
Beneath the stairs a small cellar with stone walls, possibly a
remnant of the Priory. In the rear range on ground and first
floors are deeply moulded beams each bearing different
elaborately moulded stops. The front range has early C18
panelling in part, mantle shelves and shutters. Clasped purl in
roofs. The property was held by the King following the
Dissolution of the Monasteries. It was disposed of between 1714
and 1729 to the Dryden family, which may date the re-fronting.
Source: Thompson, History of Boston.
Listing NGR: TF3774943693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings