This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6619 / 50°39'42"N
Longitude: -3.7668 / 3°46'0"W
OS Eastings: 275218
OS Northings: 86180
OS Grid: SX752861
Mapcode National: GBR QG.KQ0J
Mapcode Global: FRA 370B.6B3
Entry Name: (Forder House) Including Outbuilding Immediately North East
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85080
Location: Moretonhampstead, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Moretonhampstead
Built-Up Area: Moretonhampstead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Moretonhampstead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MORETONHAMPSTEAD FORD STREET (north side),
8/147 No. 50,( Forder House)including
23.8.55 outbuilding immediately north-
House. Circa 1800. Whitewashed plastered granite with roughcast front. Bitumen
coated slate hipped roof with lead rools to hips and ridge, the front pitch has
been reclad in asbestos slates. Wooden plated frieze of eaves to front. Brick
chimneystack at either end of main range and another on outer side of rear service
wing now within later outshut.
Single depth plan with 2 principal rooms, one on either side of wide stair hall and
with service wing containing kitchen and dairy at the rear of the left-hand dining
room, forming an overall L-shaped plan. Further service rooms added in a 2-storey
outshut on the outer west side of the service wing.
2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-window range. Ground and first floor outer
windows are tripartite sashes, 12 panes to centre light and 4 panes to the side
lights; ground floor in cambered arched openings. Centre first floor 12-pane sash.
Central doorway with Tuscan porch, the columns supporting an entablature with a
fluted frieze; the door surround has pilasters and entablature with a fluted frieze
and fielded panel reveals; the door has 6 fielded panels, the top 2 panels glazed.
The side walls are blind, and the rear is also blind except for a tall 18-pane
fixed light stair window in moulded frame, and a wide hipped roof dormer alcove at
centre. The service wing has late C18 5-light casement with glazing bars to
kitchen on ground floor, small 4-pane window to dairy on right and 2 later C19
first floor sashes. In the angle there is a small C20 leanto outshut with a C20
cantilevered lavatory chamber above clad in corrugated iron.
Interior: wide central stair hall with fine geometric staircase with open string,
stick balusters and inlaid moulded handrail wreathed over a column newel. The
balustrade continues over a spacious landing on the first floor. Both the main
rooms have good Adam style chimneypieces with festoons, runs and marble surrounds
to fine cast iron grates. The fireplaces flanked by round-headed niches. The
drawing room to right and the first floor rooms have finely moulded cornices and
friezes. The hall and landing have fine modillion cornice with festoons and
acanthus leaves. Throughout the house the joinery is complete including moulded
doorframes and panelled doors complete with the original brass drop handles. The
front windows have panelled internal shutters. In the service wing there are some
C18 2-panel doors which may be reused. The kitchen has a large fireplace and
surprisingly it has a wooden chimneypiece with a moulded architrave, fluted frieze
and moulded cornice.
Including outbuilding at rear: probably late C18 detached service range. Plastered
granite rubble with Belgium clay tile roof with hipped ends. Left-hand end has
chimney with brick shaft. Wide cart entrance at centre with timber lintel.
Interior: fireplace at left (west) end, with chamfered cambered lintel.
Forder House is remarkably intact and has been virtually unaltered since it was
built. It is unusual in having interior features of such high quality for a circa
1800 house that still has a single depth plan and a relatively simple exterior.
Listing NGR: SX7521886180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings