This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2232 / 53°13'23"N
Longitude: -0.0123 / 0°0'44"W
OS Eastings: 532801
OS Northings: 371412
OS Grid: TF328714
Mapcode National: GBR JSD.XC7
Mapcode Global: WHHKK.S7BW
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195991
Location: Greetham with Somersby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Greetham with Somersby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SOMERSBY CHURCH LANE,
TF 37 SW ASHBY PUERORUM
2/65 Church of
Parish church. C13, C15, restored mid C19, repaired 1930.
Dressed greenstone with ashlar dressings and brick patching.
Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east
chancel and the porch. Tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and
chancel. C15 tower with clasping buttresses and set on a
chamfered plinth with moulded band over. Parapet with single
corner gargoyles and finials,of 3 stages to the west side and 2
to the north and south sides with bands. West side with moulded
arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Above is a
single arched restored C15 window with 3 lights, panel tracery,
hood mould and label stops. Single rectangular stair light with
2 similar lights to the south side. East and west sides with
single ogee arched bell chamber openings. The west wall of the
north aisle has a single lancet with hood mould and label stops.
The buttressed north wall with blocked pointed chamfered arched
doorway and hood mould. to the left is a single C15 segmental
pointed arched window with 3 lights, cusped panel tracery and
hood mould. Diagonal buttressed east chancel with single C15
arched 3 light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The south chancel has a single C15 2 light window with
cusped tracery under a flat arch, hood mould and label stops.
The south nave with single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped
panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The gabled
porch is set on a chamfered plinth and has a double chamfered
arched entrance with hood mould and decorative label stops. The
side walls each with single small arched light. Inner pointed
chamfered arched doorway. To the left is a single lancet with
single left grotesque label stop. Interior. 2 bay C13 nave
arcade with circular pier and octagonal east respond, moulded
capitals and double chamfered arches. Tall C15 double chamfered
tower arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds with
moulded capitals, sides of the responds with concave moulding.
Double chamfered chancel arch. C15 octagonal ashlar font. C17
altar rails, the large balusters with some fluted moulding to the
top. Under the altar is a C14 incised floor slab to a priest,
the figure, under a canopy, originally part brass. On the south
nave wall are brasses of a male and female figure with further
C13 brasses of shields, smaller figures and inscription to
Richard Lytleburye, his wife and family, 1521 and 1523. There is
a further C16 brass of a knight in armour. Single C18 floor
slab. The estate supported the choir boys of Lincoln Cathedral.
Listing NGR: TF3280171412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings