This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.844 / 50°50'38"N
Longitude: -3.1528 / 3°9'10"W
OS Eastings: 318929
OS Northings: 105577
OS Grid: ST189055
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.W12Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 468V.ZFV
Entry Name: Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86604
Location: Luppitt, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Luppitt
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Luppitt St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST10NE LUPPITT Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Completely rebuilt in 1868 after the old manor house burnt down. Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone ashlar quoins and detail; stone rubble stacks topped with C20 brick (replacing former Beerstone ashlar chimneyshafts) slate roof. PLAN: U-plan house. The main block faces south and it has a 4-room plan with the entrance hall left of centre with a 2-storey porch in front. The centre rooms are heated by axial stacks and left (west) end room has a rear lateral stack which it shares with the kitchen behind. Each end 2-room plan service blocks project at right angles to rear. The left rear block includes the kitchen. The right rear wing has now been divided off as separate accommodation. House is 2 storeys. Tudor Gothic style. EXTERIOR: asymmetrical 1:1:3-window front of Beerstone Tudor-style windows with chamfered mullions and all except one have hoodmoulds. The porch is mostly ashlar; it is gabled with cusped bargeboards and has canted corners with corbelled shoulders. The outer arch of the porch is a 4-centred arch with moulded surround and capitals to the main shafts. It has well-carved early Renaissance carving in spandrels and hoodmould. This is restored but mid C16, undoubtedly rescued from the burnt out shell of Peter Carew's manor house here. The front doorway behind this one is also a restored and reset mid C16 stone doorway. It has an elliptical head and Peter Carew's initials are carved in the spandrels. It contains a C19 panelled door. The main roof is hipped each end. In the back and rear blocks the windows have ashlar flat arches over and contain C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars. The rear blocks are gable-ended with cusped bargeboards. INTERIOR: contains a great deal of original, that is to say 1868, joinery detail. Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse is a complete rebuild of the old manor house which probably stood a little further north (the cider house (q.v.) was probably part of the old house). Mohuns Ottery, alias Ottery Fleming, was Otri in Domesday. By 1303 the Carews had succeeded the Mohuns and established a large house and park. The house, which probably had been rebuilt by Sir Peter Carew (1512-75), was burnt down in 1868, and later rebuilt as a modern farmhouse. Sir Peter's older brother, Sir George was, as Henry VIII's Vice Admiral, lost on the Mary Rose in 1545.
Listing NGR: ST1892905577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings