This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6064 / 51°36'22"N
Longitude: 0.9226 / 0°55'21"E
OS Eastings: 602477
OS Northings: 193772
OS Grid: TR024937
Mapcode National: GBR SRP.62F
Mapcode Global: VHKHB.YW3F
Entry Name: Signal House
Listing Date: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147735
English Heritage Legacy ID: 123133
Location: Foulness, Rochford, Essex, SS3
Civil Parish: Foulness
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
FOULNESS COURT END
TR 09 SW
9/110 No. 41 Signal House
Cottage. Circa 1800. Timber framed and weatherboarded. Grey slate roof. Left
ridge and forward off centre right gault brick chimney stacks, that to right
plastered. Single storey. 2 windows, to left a 2-light casement with glazing
bars, to right a small paned vertically sliding sash. There are 2 doors, each
with 2 vertical upper lights, one to right the other between the windows.
Pentice boards over. The frame appears to be intact with a side purlin ridge
board roof. There are 6 rooms. The 2 chimney stacks have back to back
fireplaces, one with a C19 cast iron grate and surround. Original dining room
cupboard. A line of 28 coastal signal stations from North Foreland to Lands End
was established by the Admiraltry in 1794, the line was extended to Great
Yarmouth the following year and subsequently on to cover most of the coastline.
A signal house is shown in the position of this building on the Map of Foulness
by J. Grist 1801. There were 2 signal houses on Foulness, the other at Burwood
was demolished late C19. In 1811 the Officer (Lieutenant) in occupation of this
house was John Lundin. The equipment comprised a 50 foot mast with a 30 foot
top mast and 30 foot crossyard from which could be displayed from 10 hoists, one
red flag, one blue pendant and 4 black balls, which could be arranged through
145 combinations, each of which was related to an arbitrary signal. The signal
stations were closed in 1815 at the end of the War. This is one of the very few
survivors, one other presumed station is at Bradwell-on-Sea. R.W. Crump.
Foulness Archaeological Society, The First lO Years, 1975-85. October 1985,
unpublished May 1986.
Listing NGR: TR0247793772
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings