History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culmstock Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Culmstock, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9163 / 50°54'58"N

Longitude: -3.2801 / 3°16'48"W

OS Eastings: 310111

OS Northings: 113764

OS Grid: ST101137

Mapcode National: GBR LS.QJV9

Mapcode Global: FRA 460P.9XZ

Entry Name: Culmstock Bridge

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95916

Location: Culmstock, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Culmstock

Built-Up Area: Culmstock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Culmstock All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Culmstock

Listing Text

CULMSTOCK THE STRAND, CULMSTOCK
ST 11 SW
10/67 Culmstock Bridge
-
24.10.51
GV II

Road bridge over the River Culm. Medieval origins; much rebuilt after severe flood damage in 1774; C20 alterations and repairs. Local limestone rubble including dressed voussoirs and blocks used for the piers and cutwaters. 6-span bridge. The southernmost arch has been replaced by flat concrete lintel in the C20. The other 5 are segmental arches of different spans and heights. The piers project both sides with pointed cutwaters and some are continued up to the parapet to provide refuges, 3 upstream (east) and 2 downstream (west). Rubble parapet with rounded ashlar coping. This has been replaced with railings over the C20 arch. The road ramps over the bridge but the highest point is north of centre. According to Polwhele one arch was completely swept away in the 1774 flood and was replaced by 2. Thus there were originally 5 arches and are now 6. Its medieval origins are indicated by a bequest for repairs made in 1412.
Source: C. Henderson and E. Jervoise Old Devon Bridges (1938) p.54


Listing NGR: ST1011113764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.