History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greetham with Somersby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2284 / 53°13'42"N

Longitude: 0.0197 / 0°1'11"E

OS Eastings: 534922

OS Northings: 372049

OS Grid: TF349720

Mapcode National: GBR JSF.RS9

Mapcode Global: WHHKL.83NX

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195993

Location: Greetham with Somersby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Greetham with Somersby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Bag Enderby St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Somersby

Listing Text

SOMERSBY CHURCH LANE
TF 37 SW Bag Enderby
(north side)

2/67 Church of
14.9.66 St. Margaret

G.V. II*

Parish church. C15, restored c.1956. Dressed greenstone, some
red brick patching. Lead and plain tile roofs. Coped gables
with single ridge crosses to the east nave and east chancel.
Nave with parapet to south and north. Buttressed and set on a
plinth, with moulded band over to all but the north chancel and
porch. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed
tower of 2 stages with bands, parapet and single corner
gargoyles. West wall with single C15 arched 3 light window with
cusped tracery, moulded surround, hood mould and head label
stops. In the band above is a single carved head. 4 arched bell
chamber openings with cusped tracery, moulded surrounds, hood
moulds and human head label stops. North nave wall with single
C15 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery under
a flat arch. To the left is a moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and label stops. Further left is a single segmental arched
C15 window with 3 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery and hood
mould. The east chancel wall has a single arched C15 window with
3 lights, cusped tracery and hood mould. The south chancel has 2
C15 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, cusped
tracery and hood moulds, the window on the left is segmental
arched and heavily restored, that on the right is under a flat
arch. In the south nave is a single segmental arched C15 window
with 3 lights, cusped tracery and hood mould. The gabled porch
with brick cambered arched entrance and key block has a single
rectangular opening in the east wall and a single similar blocked
opening in the west wall. Inner moulded arched doorway with C17
plank and stud door. To the left is a single C15 window with 2
ogee arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a flat
arch with hood mould. Interior. Triple chamfered restored tower
arch, chamfering to arch only. Double chamfered chancel arch,
the inner order supported on octagonal responds, the capitals
extended to form attached colonnettes. Restored C15 screen with
arched and cusped openings and cusped tracery. South chancel
with ogee arched and cusped piscina, the north with rectangular
aumbry. The south nave has a trefoil arched piscina. to the
left of the south door is a trefoil arched stoup. C15 octagonal
ashlar font, the decoration to the sides of the bowl include
shields, a figure and lute, a quatrefoil in circle, a hart
licking leaves of the Tree of Live and St. Mary with dead child.
Font set into the remnants of incised C15 floor slabs. Memorial
to the family of Andrew Gedney and his wife, 1591, the
inscription tablet decorated with surround of strapwork with
single skull over. Above are single carved male and female
figures with central prayer desks and shield, behind each figure
are 2 further figures of children, either side are single Ionic
pilasters. Entablature with further inscription over. The
memorial to William Langhorne Burton and his wife, 1739, has an
urn on the crown. Fragments of C15 glass to the south west
window of the chancel and the nave windows. Alfred Lord
Tennyson's father was Rector of Bag Enderby and the adjoining
village of Somersby from 1808-31.


Listing NGR: TF3492272049

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.