History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gull Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8697 / 51°52'10"N

Longitude: 1.1926 / 1°11'33"E

OS Eastings: 619886

OS Northings: 223827

OS Grid: TM198238

Mapcode National: GBR VRD.NBS

Mapcode Global: VHLCS.M8BK

Entry Name: Gull Cottages

Listing Date: 11 November 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147807

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120329

Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

THORPE-LE-SOKEN LANDERMERE QUAY
TM 12 SE (south side)

5/100 Nos. 5-9 (consec),
Gull Cottages,
11.11.81 formerly listed as
nos. 1-9, Gull
Cottages

GV II

Range of 5 attached cottages. C19. Painted brick, roofed mainly with handmade
red and yellow clay tiles, with machine-made red clay tiles on no.9 only.
Single range facing NW, with 6 axial stacks. Single-storey lean-to extensions
at rear. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 13 C20 casements, all in
segmental arches except the first 4 at the right end, which have straight heads.
12 C20 metal casements in flat-roofed dormers. 6 plain boarded doors, all in
segmental arches except the 2 at the right end, which have straight heads.
Gambrel roofs. Nos. 6 and 7 have a dentilled eaves course. A stone tablet is
inscribed 'The early house of the late Sir William Withey Gull, bart., born
1816, died 1890, physician to Queen Victoria'. The title was confered in 1872
for treating Prince Albert for typhoid fever in that year. In 1840 nearly all
the cottages were occupied by mariners. (E.A. Wood, A History of
Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975, 150).


Listing NGR: TM1988623827

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.