This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5344 / 50°32'3"N
Longitude: -3.5805 / 3°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 288088
OS Northings: 71711
OS Grid: SX880717
Mapcode National: GBR QS.CPQW
Mapcode Global: FRA 37DN.6XR
Entry Name: Buckland Barton
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85742
Location: Haccombe with Combe, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Haccombe with Combe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combeinteignhead All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 87 SE HACCOMBE-WITH-COMBE
9/78 Buckland Barton
House. C16 and C17 with C20 alterations. Whitewashed rendered stone rubble;
asbestos slate roof (formerly thatched), hipped at south end of 3-storey block,
gabled at north end, hipped at end of 2 storey block ; projecting lateral stack and
end stack to 3-storey block, projecting end stack to 2-storey block.
Plan: Overall L-plan : a single depth 3-storey block to the north-west, probably 3
rooms wide originally but re-partitioned, with a 2-storey block to the south-east
containing a C19 entrance passage and stair and 1 heated room. Position of original
entrance unclear. The remains of 2 early C17 plaster ceilings survive in the south
end of the 3-storey block, one on the ground floor, one on the first floor.
Exterior: 2 and 3 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:4 window south-east entrance elevation
consisting of the end of the 3-storey block to the left and the 2-storey block to the
centre and right. C20 gabled porch on posts into 2-storey block to the left with a
C20 front door and C19 rectangular fanlight. The 3-storey block has an impressive
set of mullioned windows (the stone rendered over). 6-light ground floor window with
moulded mullions a king mullion, hoodmould and label stops, glazed with square leaded
panes. 5-light first floor mullioned window with moulded mullions and segmental
headed lights (centre light blocked) ; similar second floor window. The 2-storey
block has 3 C20 first floor casements and one ground floor C20 casement. The left
return (3 storey block) is blind to the right of the stack with a C20 door to the
left of the stack ; 3 1-light ground floor windows, one 2-light C18 first floor
casement with square leaded panes and 1 4-light second floor window. The rear
elevation has C20 casements to the 3-storey block, a 2-light C18 casement with square
leaded panes to the 2-storey block and a 2-storey flat-roofed C20 addition in the
angle between the blocks.
Interior: The remains of 2 important early C17 decorated plaster ceilings in the 3-
storey block, truncated by new partitions and incomplete. To the left of the
entrance on the ground floor, lit by the 6-light mullioned window, a large room has
been subdivided but retains parts of an ornamental plaster ceiling including a
plastered-over axial beam, parts of a frieze and rib patterns. The dividing wall
with the present stair wall has a fine C18 nowy-headed china cupboard with glazed
doors and a key block. The first floor room above, also sub-divided, has the remains
of a second good plaster ceiling which includes an axial beam with plaster strapwork
and a central motif of 3 fishes. The ground floor room to the right of the entrance
hall has an open fireplace with a hollow-chamfered granite lintel, the jambs either
concealed or replaced, no exposed carpentry. The 2 ground floor rooms in the 3-
storey block not already described have chamfered cross beams and have been
repartitioned to give an axial passage.
Roof: Roof of 3-storey block only inspected. The roof construction is of an early
C17 character but rather unusual design, pegged collar rafter trusses mortised at the
apex with mortised collars and threaded purlins but mortises for second collars in
the rafters : these lower collars are missing but have been replaced with vertical
posts on the tie beams. The attic space appears to have been used as accommodation
and the trusses may have been adapted to give extra head room.
A history of the house by P.R. Whiteaway in the possession of the owner suggests that
the plaster ceilings may have been put up in circa 1610 during the residence of
William Hockmore (1581-1626).
Whiteaway, P.R. Buckland Barton, a Brief History 1086-1986, (n.d.).
Listing NGR: SX8808871711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings