This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9484 / 52°56'54"N
Longitude: -0.0239 / 0°1'26"W
OS Eastings: 532867
OS Northings: 340832
OS Grid: TF328408
Mapcode National: GBR JWW.0SZ
Mapcode Global: WHHLX.L5T0
Entry Name: Church of St Leodegar
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192044
Location: Wyberton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE21
Civil Parish: Wyberton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wyberton St Leodegar
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 34 SW WYBERTON CHURCH LANE
11/128 Church of
Parish church. Originally late C12 rebuilt c.1420. Chancel
rebuilt 1760. Restored by George Gilbert Scott Junior c.1880.
Coursed limestone rubble, some ashlar and lined stucco. Western
tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, facetted chancel. The original
church had a crossing tower which collapsed in 1419. 3 stage
tower has stepped corner buttresses and battlemented parapet with
angle grotesques. The paired belfry lights are of 2 tiers with
broadly cusped heads to the lights. On the west side the pointed
doorway has a deeply moulded rectangular surround with trefoils
in the spandrels. Hood mould with figured stops. Above the door
a 4 light window with 4 centred arched head. The rendered north
aisle with plain parapet has C19 3 light windows with panel
tracery, one to both ends and 5 to the side, set between stepped
buttresses, all in C15 chamfered surrounds. 5 three light C15
clerestory windows now with C19 cusped tracery. The red brick
facetted chancel has a plain tiled hipped roof, with plinth and
dentiilated eaves. A blank east window with ashlar key and
impost blocks, matching side windows. South aisle matches the
north, with one blank side window, 3 windows and a single
buttress. Shaped rainwater hopper dated 1775 on the clerestory.
Interior. 5 bay nave arcades, the north arcade has reused C13
clustered shafts, annular capitals and double chamfered arches.
The south arcade has octagonal shafts, bell moulded bases,
annular capitals, one with hobnail decoration, 2 double chamfered
arches and 3 with a chamfer and roll moulding. The third columns
from the west end have large bases of the earlier shafted columns
which formed the original crossing. Fragments of interlocking
trefoil frieze built into the wall above. The tall tower arch
has octagonal reveals, and double chamfered arch, the outer order
being continuous. c.1200 5 lozenge shaped pillars with clustered
and some collared shafts to deeply moulded C13 chancel arch. The
C15 nave roof of 5 bays survives with moulded tie beams,
principals, demi figures to sides and plain corbels. Dentillated
cornice with rosettes to chancel. Fittings. Some reused C15
tracery on the choir stalls. Late C18 painted texts to reredos.
Charity board dated 1794 in north aisle. C15 octagonal font on
shafted base, blank shields, in quatrefoil panels to sides, on
tall contemporary base. Also a C14 octagonal bowl, much abraded,
having traceried panels with cusped ogee arches and shields.
Octagonal stone pulpit dated 1881. Monuments. In the aisles 3
C18 broken pedimented wall monuments. In the north aisle a C14
black marble ledger slab to Adam of Frampton and his wife, in low
relief depicting the deceased under cusped and brattished arches.
Records in the Chancery Court refer to proceedings between 1426
and 1432 where Roger Derrys, a London mason, was sueing for
payment following the rebuilding of Church tower and nave. The
chancel rebuilding was carried out at the same time as the
refronting of the Rectory, now Wyberton Park, by the Rector Dr.
Listing NGR: TF3287140831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings