History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Firs

A Grade II Listed Building in Wrabness, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9317 / 51°55'54"N

Longitude: 1.1616 / 1°9'41"E

OS Eastings: 617452

OS Northings: 230632

OS Grid: TM174306

Mapcode National: GBR VQL.SLH

Mapcode Global: VHLCD.2QY0

Entry Name: The Firs

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147889

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120340

Location: Wrabness, Tendring, Essex, CO11

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Wrabness

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Wrabness All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Mistley

Listing Text

WRABNESS HARWICH ROAD
TM 13 SE (south side)

1/115 The Firs

- II

House. Late medieval, extended in C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
mixed red and blue clay pantiles. 2-bay hall facing W, with inserted stack of
c.1600 in left bay against rear wall, service bay to left, and parlour/solar bay
at right end. C19 single-storey extension to rear of right end, and C19 lean-to
extension in left rear angle, both of red brick with slate roofs. One storey
with attics. 3 C20 casements, and 4 more in segmental-roofed dormers. C20 door
in front of gabled porch. Jowled posts, heavy studding. Internal tiebeams
missing or severed. The left bay (originally an unstoreyed service bay) has an
inserted floor of c.1600 comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue
stops and plain joists of horizontal section; wood-burning hearth reduced for
C20 grate. In the hall the studding at the right end is exposed, with a clear
series of scribed carpenter's assembly marks, and peg-holes for a fixed bench.
Large wood-burning hearth of 330mm. brickwork. Floor comprising longitudinal
chamfered joists of horizontal section with plain stops, formerly jointed into a
transverse beam at the left end and lodged at the right end, but raised above
their original position. Roof not inspected but reported to be rebuilt. The
exterior was weatherboarded until 1973, the date inscribed in the plaster of the
left gable.


Listing NGR: TM1745230632

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.