This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5952 / 51°35'42"N
Longitude: 0.7138 / 0°42'49"E
OS Eastings: 588065
OS Northings: 191976
OS Grid: TQ880919
Mapcode National: GBR QNR.TJD
Mapcode Global: VHKHF.B56F
Entry Name: Doggetts Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 123183
Location: Rochford, Rochford, Essex, SS4
Civil Parish: Rochford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Rochford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ROCHFORD DOGGETTS CHASE
TQ 89 SE
6/191 Doggetts Farmhouse
House. Early C19 front range of C16 or earlier origin. Gault brick front and
right return, hipped red plain tiled roof. C16 red brick external chimney stack
to left return, off centre right and 3 rear chimney stacks. 2 storeys, parapet.
4 window range of tripartite small paned vertically sliding sashes, segmental
heads. Off centre right 3-panelled door with top light oval fanlight, flat
canopy and side lights. Right return, 3 similar window range. Internal
features include vertical shutters to one room, 6 cast iron fire surrounds to
upstairs rooms and landing including one very small, narrow surround with round
head possibly used for heating warming pans etc. C18 panelled overmantel and
side cupboard with 3 shelves. C19 W.C. with wooden bench seat. C19 archway and
cornice to hall. Stick balusters to staircase, wreathed handrail. 6-panelled
doors with moulded surrounds. In the kitchen to left is an original C16 stone
firesurround with stop chamfered arch. There are scratch dates and names on the
stone, one reads Rebecca Rake 1595. The frame of the original building is at
present covered excepting for some heavy wall studs adjacent to this chimney
stack which have recently been exposed. Philip Morant writes," another reputed
Manor, it took the name from an ancient family, 1305 Robert Doggett and Alice
his wife held one messuage and 26 acres of arable purchased by Beatrix Doggett.
It belonged to Robert Earl of Warwick in 1619". L.E. Jerram-Burrows writes that
the property was purchased in 1867 by a Shropshire man William Taylor Meeson
from the then Lord of the Manor. Philip Morant "A History of the County of
Essex", 1763-8. L.E. Jerram-Burrows "Rochford Remembered" 1983.
Listing NGR: TQ8806591976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings