History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory, Wall and Gate Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Ponton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8634 / 52°51'48"N

Longitude: -0.628 / 0°37'40"W

OS Eastings: 492461

OS Northings: 330422

OS Grid: SK924304

Mapcode National: GBR DQQ.J1M

Mapcode Global: WHGKW.B957

Entry Name: The Old Rectory, Wall and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 19 February 1952

Last Amended: 9 January 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147917

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193336

Location: Great Ponton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Great Ponton

Built-Up Area: Great Ponton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Great Ponton Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

GREAT PONTON DALLYGATE
SK 93 SW
4/95
19.2.52
(north side)
The Old Rectory,
wall and gate piers.
(Formerly listed as
Rectory
G.V. II*
Former rectory, now house, wall and gate piers. C14, enlarged
c.1520 by Antony Ellis, wool merchant of the Staple of Calais.
Altered C17 and perhaps cut down then, extended and altered
possibly c.1826 by J. Langwith, C20 alterations. Coursed squared
limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, pantile roof
having, to the front only,with raised crow stepped gable with
finial, central ridge ashlar stack. 2 storey with garret, having
plinth and moulded string course, 5 bay entrance front. The left
hand 3 bays are advanced and roofed under a catslide, containing
planked door with to left a 2 light casement and to right a small
opening. To the right is a C16 stair turret with facetted corner
and single upper light. Beyond a 4 light C16 window and a
panelled door with 4 centred head and hood mould. Above a
further 4 light C16 window. To the right a lower C18 and C20
kitchen range. The 4 bay garden front shows much evidence of
rebuilding, possibly where external stacks have been removed. To
the right a French door in a C17 window opening, a 3 light C17
window and 2 C16 4 light windows, possibly reset. To first floor
single C16 3 light and 4 light windows, and a 2 light C17 window.
In the gable end single C16 4 light windows to ground and first
floor and to garret a 2 light window. All C16 windows have
cavetto mullioned windows with arch heads to the lights, bowtell
moulded surrounds, drip mouldings. Interior. The C14 phase is
represented by the wall between the parlour and lean-to range
which has 3 pointed openings, 2 now blocked, possibly fossilizing
earlier service entrances. The parlour chimney stack was
possibly inserted C17. The ceiling girders are moulded, with run
out stops, picked out with diagonal steps of black, ochre and
red. The joists are also chamfered and stopped. The newel stair
is C17 with turned bobbin balusters, moulded handrails, square
newels with carved tops. On the first floor is an interesting
series of C16 wall paintings in red and yellow, with stylised
trees, peacocks and deer. The oak clasped purlin roof has queen
post trusses and arched wind bracing. Attached to the gable end
is a wall to the right and a gateway with square rusticated
ashlar piers, moulded bases and hemispherical coping. To left a
planked door with ashlar surround, incised lintel and above a
coped wall. The Ellis family were related to the Coney family,
also wool merchants, of nearby Bassingthorpe. Anthony Ellis
built the adjacent Parish Church in 1519. Source: D. L.
Roberts.


Listing NGR: SK9246130422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.