This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7954 / 52°47'43"N
Longitude: -0.6588 / 0°39'31"W
OS Eastings: 490528
OS Northings: 322820
OS Grid: SK905228
Mapcode National: GBR DRG.N8K
Mapcode Global: WHGL1.VZGW
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193343
Location: Gunby and Stainby, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Gunby and Stainby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Stainby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
GUNBY AND STAINBY HALL LANE
SK 92 SW
8/102 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. 1865, by R. Coad, partly re-using some C14
material in the north aisle. Squared limestone rubble, slate
roofs. Western tower, nave, aisles, chancel. The 3 stage tower
has moulded plinth, string courses, corbel table, octagonal
broach spire with single set of lucarnes to each face. Stepped
corner buttresses. To the belfry stage are 2 light louvred
openings with trefoil heads to the lights and quatrefoils over.
On the south side a small trefoil headed light to second stage.
The west doorway is in a triple chamfered pointed surround with 2
light window above. To second stage a small light as on south
side. On the north side is an octagonal stair turret. The north
aisle has a 2 light window in the west and a pair of 3 light
windows in the north side, the easternmost one being C14 with
intersecting tracery, hood mould, human and beast head stops.
The vestry has 2 trefoil headed lancets in the north and a single
lancet with trefoil over to the east. The east window is of 3
lights in a Geometric style. The south chancel wall has a pointed
doorway flanked by single 2 light windows. The east wall of the
south aisle has a 2 light window with a matching 3 light window
and similar 2 light window to the south side. In the west wall is
a further 2 light window. All tracery is in an early Decorated
style. The south doorway is in a pointed moulded surround with
hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. C14 2 bay
north arcade with single chamfered arch, circular pier with
naturalistic capital, rectangular responds with moulded imposts.
C19 2 bay south arcade, double chamfered arches, octagonal pier
and responds. C19 triple chamfered tower arch, octagonal
responds. C19 double chamfered and moulded chancel arch, semi-
circular respond and pink marble angle shafts with annular
capitals. Fittings. Fine set of carved woodwork fittings
including reredos, altar table, panelling to chancel, organ case,
choir stalls, screen, pulpit, tower screen and tall Gothic font
cover, all by Rev. W. E. Thorold, c.1880. C19 stained glass.
Painted texts over nave, chancel and tower arches. C19 font in
Early English style.
Listing NGR: SK9052822820
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings