This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9515 / 50°57'5"N
Longitude: -4.0885 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253396
OS Northings: 118971
OS Grid: SS533189
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB33
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.F0Q
Entry Name: Nos 17, 18, 19, 20 and Church View Cottage Including Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91864
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 18 IN THE WOOD
18/253 Nos. 17, 18, 19, 20 and Church
- View Cottage including front
Row of 5 cottages, formerly 6 estate cottages. Circa 1877 for the Honourable Mark
George Kerr Rolle. Local stone rubble laid to rough courses; stone stacks topped
with C19 and C20 brick; slate roof.
Plan: Row of 5 contemporary cottages facing east towards the churchyard opposite.
They number 17 - Church View Cottage from left to right. They do not have identical
plans. From left to right they have 1-room, 2-room, 2-room, 1-room and 3-room plans,
all heated by a series of axial and gable-end stacks. In fact the 3-room plan
cottage, Church View Cottage at the right end, has been made by uniting a 1-room plan
and a 2-room plan cottage. 2 storeys.
Exterior: Overall regular 11-window front of late C19 and replacement casements with
glazing bars. The 3 ground floor windows to left (Nos. 17 and 18) have flat stone
arches over. Others have been replaced by C20 concrete lintels. The right end 2-
window section (Church View Cottage) have low segmental arches of grey ashlar
voussoirs. Front doorways contain a variety of doors, the originals are plank doors.
All have gabled porches with Tudor arch headed outer arches in the plank gables,
trellis sides and brick sleeper walls. These gables have finials and pendants. All
these porches survive to a greater or lesser extent.
Interiors: not inspected.
A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclosed by original cast iron railings;
plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gates in
the same style.
This was a Rolle estate village. The big house in the parish, Stevenstone Court
(q.v.), now ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-73 and the whole village, including the
Church of St Giles (q.v.), was remodelled shortly afterwards.
Listing NGR: SS5339918960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings