History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Gunby and Stainby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7839 / 52°47'1"N

Longitude: -0.6481 / 0°38'53"W

OS Eastings: 491273

OS Northings: 321554

OS Grid: SK912215

Mapcode National: GBR DRN.JXX

Mapcode Global: WHGL8.09N5

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193345

Location: Gunby and Stainby, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Gunby and Stainby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gunby St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Buckminster

Listing Text

GUNBY AND STAINBY MAIN STREET
SK 92 SW
Gunby
8/104 Church of
20.9.66 St. Nicholas
G.V. II
Parish church. C15, 1869 by R. Coad. Ashlar and squared coursed
limestone rubble. Slate roofs with stone coped gables,
decorative kneelers, crosses fleury. Western tower, nave,
chancel, vestry. C15 ashlar 3 stage tower has bell moulded
plinth, 2 string courses, battlemented parapet with crocketed
corner pinnacles, one missing. To belfry stage 2 light louvred
openings with cusped heads to the lights. The 2 light west
window has trefoil heads to the lights, set in concave chamfered
surround with hood mould. On the north side an angled stair
turret up to second stage. The nave of 1869 has 3 stepped
buttresses, a north door in moulded pointed surround with angle
shafts and a pair of 2 light windows. The vestry has a 3 light
window with ogee heads to the lights. The chancel, in squared
limestone rubble, has a 3 light C19 east window with rectilinear
tracery and a similar 2 light south window. The south side of
the nave has 3 three light C19 windows, the central one having
ogee heads to the lights, the outer pair matching the north side
with cusped heads and quatrefoils over. Interior. Tall narrow
late C15 tower arch with octagonal responds and capitals, single
chamfered arch, hollow moulded continuous surround. C19 chancel
arch with moulded pointed head, continuous surround, hood mould
with human head label stops. All fittings, including font, are
C19 with Gothic woodwork including tower and chancel screens,
font cover and reredos by Rev. W. E. Thorold, c.1880. Pair of
commandment boards.


Listing NGR: SK9127321554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.