This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.214 / 53°12'50"N
Longitude: -1.676 / 1°40'33"W
OS Eastings: 421733
OS Northings: 368592
OS Grid: SK217685
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.H2W
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.7G5Z
Entry Name: Haig House with Attached Steps and Railings
Listing Date: 13 March 1951
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468055
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2168 BATH STREET
831-1/4/25 (South side)
13/03/51 Haig House with attached steps and
(Formerly Listed as:
Bath House (Royal British Legion
H.Q.) Steps and Iron Railings to
House with attached steps and railings and containing natural
spring bathing pool; now Royal British Legion Club. 1697 for
the Duke of Rutland; pool vaulted over in 1705; later
additions and alterations; early C19 side wings.
Deeply-coursed sandstone and coursed limestone; stone slate,
concrete tile and Welsh slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: original L-shaped house of 3 storeys and attic with
infilled angle; elongated 2-storey side wing across west side
with single-storey wing attached. C17 part has large quoins;
shaped kneelers with ball finials and chamfered gable copings.
Entrance front: 6-panel door approached by 4 stone steps with
curved handrails on mid C19 Neo-classical, cast-iron
balustrade panels. 2-light double-chamfered mullioned window
on left has leaded lights; single-light stair window. Rebuilt
gable with band linking the kneelers. Single bay to right of
gable has 2-light chamfered mullioned windows to each floor
and a parapet.
Left return: gable to left with large round-arched 3-light
window with transom (lighting the pool); altered window above
on left and chamfered single-light window to right; renewed
2-light window to attic. To right of gable a chamfered 2-light
window to ground floor, altered window above then a
square-faced 2-light mullioned window.
2-storey side on left projects and has an open-fronted rustic
porch with 4-panelled door in tufa-lined recess beneath
fish-scale, stone-slated canopy. Both gable ends of 2-storey
wing have 2-light mullioned windows.
INTERIOR: original open-well staircase with square newels
having moulded caps; balustrade boxed in except in attic which
has exposed turned balusters (newels of staircase supported on
inserted props). Round-arched vault over bath measuring
approximately 10mx5m; 2 flights of stone steps into the pool;
Listing NGR: SK2173368592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings