This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2138 / 53°12'49"N
Longitude: -1.6741 / 1°40'26"W
OS Eastings: 421862
OS Northings: 368570
OS Grid: SK218685
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.HLB
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.8H23
Entry Name: Market Hall
Listing Date: 13 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468063
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2168 BRIDGE STREET
831-1/4/29 (South side)
13/03/51 Market Hall
Former market hall now information centre. c1600 origin;
altered C18 and with eastern extension of 1858 and later rear
porch. Deeply-coursed sandstone, stone slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range; double-span roof. Bridge
Street front: large quoins; plinth to bay 1 and straight joint
on right. Chamfered surrounds to 2-light mullioned windows
with leaded lights; first-floor sill band across bays 2-5;
single-light window to first floor of bay 1. Ashlar gutter;
mid C19 blind gabled dormers over bays 2-5 have painted
shields, shaped kneelers and roll-moulded copings with apex
gablets; end gables similarly treated.
Rear: single-storey porch has triangular-headed entrance with
double doors; leaded sidelights; ashlar parapet with moulded
copings. Chamfered mullioned windows and gabled dormer to main
wall. Tudor-arched doorway into right end bay.
Left return: 3-light mullioned window with dripstone; oriel
bay window of 1:2:1 lights to first-floor right.
Right return: 3 late C19 square-headed openings with central
entrance flanked by display windows. West gable rebuilt 1896.
INTERIOR: Bridge Street side has infilled arcade of 4 round
arches which spring from large blocks. Window heads of
opposite wall have reused timber lintels including 2 sections
of multiple-light windows with sockets for diagonally-set
mullions. Central valley supported on 2 iron pillars.
Each roof with small principal-rafter trusses having diagonal
struts; large-scantling purlins and diagonally-set ridge (some
The arcaded side wall was filled in C18; the building may have
been timber-framed on the upper floor.
HISTORY: served as Town Hall from 1827 also used as wash-house
and courtroom in mid C19. In 1858 floor removed and building
used as courtroom and assembly hall. Became market hall when
Bakewell's new town hall was built in 1891.
Listing NGR: SK2186268570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings