History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Coopers Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Weymouth, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6051 / 50°36'18"N

Longitude: -2.4526 / 2°27'9"W

OS Eastings: 368064

OS Northings: 78468

OS Grid: SY680784

Mapcode National: GBR PY.DXCM

Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.NBH

Entry Name: Former Coopers Shop

Listing Date: 22 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467960

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East

Built-Up Area: Weymouth

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Weymouth

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SY6878SW SPRING ROAD
873-1/28/264 (West side)
Former Coopers' shop

GV II

Includes: Former Coopers' shop DEVENISH SQUARE.
Coopers' shop, now store or workshop, attached to former
brewery range. Dated 1869. Rubble, brickwork, horizontal
boarding on framing, concrete tile roof.
An L-shaped single-storey building on a triangular site
immediately S of Brewers Quay (qv); the base of a former stack
remains on the E side.
Facing Brewers Quay the front is in rubble with brick
dressings and rounded outer corners, with a central loading
door in a gabled half-dormer above C20 doors. The Spring Road
front is in rubble with brick dressings, with one small eaves
stack, and a large square stack podium in brick, with a stone
capping to the circular base, and with saw-tooth brick
dentils. The E front has the date, 1869, and the N front D &
Co (Devenish).
The inner walls are framed with slender cast-iron columns; the
N range is in 6 bays, with 9-pane fixed casements above
boarding, and doors to bays 1 & 4. The E range, in 5 bays, is
similar, and with a series of C20 roof lights. The outer gable
is in rubble with boarding to the gable and a pair of
full-height wide plank doors. The roof structure is C19 king
post trusses.
Forms an integral part of an outstanding group of brewery
buildings in the Hope Square area.

Listing NGR: SY6806478468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.