History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tudor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Weymouth, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6059 / 50°36'21"N

Longitude: -2.4532 / 2°27'11"W

OS Eastings: 368026

OS Northings: 78564

OS Grid: SY680785

Mapcode National: GBR PY.DPLB

Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.N3K

Entry Name: Tudor House

Listing Date: 12 December 1953

Last Amended: 22 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467999

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East

Built-Up Area: Weymouth

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Weymouth

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SY6878NW TRINITY STREET
873-1/24/389 (West side)
12/12/53 No.3
Tudor House
(Formerly Listed as:
TRINITY STREET
(West side)
Nos.2 AND 3)

GV II

House in row, formerly two dwellings. 1603-1610. Portland
stone ashlar, stone slate roof.
EXTERIOR: twin-gabled 3 storeys, 2 windows, all 3-light
recessed hollow chamfer mullion casements with small-scale
leading, under moulded and dropped labels; above the
ground-floor lights the label runs acroos the full width of
the front. To the left a plank door in chamfered surround, and
to the right a small 2-light casement in a similar opening,
formerly with a door. The front gables have saddle-back
copings on kneelers, and there is a central lead spout. Early
brick stacks to each gable. The back of the property is
tightly enclosed, in squared Portland stone, and with a tile
roof slope on a single row of stone slate at the eaves. A
flat-roofed dormer above 2 or 3-light casements to concrete
lintels, with a door to the right.
INTERIOR: the ground floor is in a single room, with 2
transverse large chamfered beams, deep stone-cheeked
fireplaces with wood bressumers at either end; that to the
right has a fine cast-iron fireback with Poseidon rising from
the wave, brought in from elswhere. The front windows are in
deep embrasures to floor level, with inserted bench seats. A
partition across part of the rear encloses a kitchen area. A
new staircase rises in the back left corner to a curved
recess. The upper 2 floors are divided each into 2 small
rooms. At first floor, the timber bressumer to the right-hand
fireplace has remains of early painted decoration, and there
is one C17 door (from elsewhere) at second floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the property, which was then in 2 small
cottages, had a Closing Order imposed in 1936, was then bought
by the Weymouth Ancient Buildings Society, suffered blast
damage during the war, and eventually in 1944 was bequeathed
by the architect Walmsley Lewis, the last of the Trustees and
Secretary (1944-1977) to the newly established Weymouth Civic
Society. Walmsley Lewis undertook the extensive restoration,
presented now as a single house, and open to the public.


Listing NGR: SY6802678564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.