This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6062 / 50°36'22"N
Longitude: -2.4534 / 2°27'12"W
OS Eastings: 368012
OS Northings: 78594
OS Grid: SY680785
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DPK4
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.N04
Entry Name: Hope Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 17 June 1974
Last Amended: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148107
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468006
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6878NW TRINITY STREET
873-1/24/390 (West side)
17/06/74 Hope Congregational Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
Hope Congregational Church)
Congregational chapel. Dated 1822 (inscribed panel on facade),
re-erected 1862. Cream ashlar front, Portland rubble returns
with brick dressings, slate roof, and brick rear wing, at
higher level in Herbert Place.
A boldly modelled front in mannerist classical detail, with
1:3:1 lofty arched lights with margin panes in moulded
architraves and square sills on mouldings, set in recessed
panels; the outer arch moulding is stopped to the capitals of
square piers, and there is a high plinth with moulded offset.
To each side is a pair of C20 glazed doors in small
quarter-pilasters to a flat entablature, and a pair of sunk
panels, on 5 broad stone steps with nosings. Below the central
window is a stone panel with the inscribed dates. The heavy
cornice is on modillion brackets, with blocking and coped
To left and right, slightly set back, are short lengths of
ashlar wall with arched openings under an entablature. The
long sides have 7 bays, with lights to stone arches but brick
jambs, with shallow buttresses to weathered tops. At the rear,
on a higher level, is a red brick 2-storey addition with
ancillary rooms, dated 1885.
INTERIOR: noted as having been remodelled in mid C20.
Listing NGR: SY6801278594
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings