History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Folkton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2021 / 54°12'7"N

Longitude: -0.3863 / 0°23'10"W

OS Eastings: 505360

OS Northings: 479689

OS Grid: TA053796

Mapcode National: GBR TMRV.5D

Mapcode Global: WHGCF.1MBY

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326973

Location: Folkton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Folkton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Folkton St John

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Folkton

Listing Text

TA 07 NE FOLKTON VILLAGE STREET
(north side)

5/36 Church of Saint John the
30.6.66 Evangelist


GV II*


Church. C13 with C12 origins; C13 tower with upper stage of
1877-81; chancel shortened 1772; south side of nave rebuilt C19; re-roofed
1906. Herringbone-tooled sandstone and sandstone ashlar; slate roof. West
tower, nave and chancel. 3-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses and
staircase turret has slit windows to two lower stages; 2-light pointed bell
openings under pointed arches to third stage. Pointed south door in quoined
opening under corbelled dripmould. Two flat-topped 3-light windows with
panel tracery to right. Similar window of C15 inserted in north wall,
interrupting impost band. C13 trefoil-headed lancet to left. Further
similar openings blocked in north and south walls of curtailed chancel.
1854 east window of 3 pointed lights with small trefoil window above.
Interior: C13 double-chamfered chancel arch on C12 responds of three shafts
with scallop and volute capitals, one forming a rabbit's head. C13 triple-
chamfered tower arch. Deeply-splayed tower lancet. Blocked round-arched
doorway in nave north wall. Fragments of medieval painted glass
incorporated in north window. Norman tub font with cable mouldings to top
and bottom. Monuments; to Rev. W. Minithorpe (d. 1774) by Chambers of
Scarborough; to John (d. 1316) and Edwin (d. 1821) Minithorpe by Taylor of
York.


Listing NGR: TA0536079689

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.