History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newby and Scalby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2986 / 54°17'55"N

Longitude: -0.4509 / 0°27'3"W

OS Eastings: 500909

OS Northings: 490329

OS Grid: TA009903

Mapcode National: GBR TL9Q.5T

Mapcode Global: WHGC0.16KY

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 26 November 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148211

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326903

Location: Newby and Scalby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Newby and Scalby

Built-Up Area: Scarborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scalby St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Scalby

Listing Text

TA 09SW SCALBY CHURCH HILL
(north side)

5/35 Church of St Laurence
-

GV II*

Church. Late C12 - C13 with later alterations and additions, including
the tower, probably 1683, but in Gothic style. Heavily restored and
extended in 1859. Coursed, squared sandstone. Stone flag roof. West
tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel. The
2-stage tower has battlements, diagonal buttresses and extruded staircase
tower to parapet level. 4-light bell openings and window on south side
have semicircular heads, stone mullions, with incised decoration in the
spandrels. Semicircular hood-moulds. String course at main roof eaves
level. The north wall of the nave is of medieval masonry. 3 reset
2-light windows, with cusped tracery and pierced quatrefoil heads, with
stepped buttresses between. The south wall, and the south porch, were
rebuilt in C19 with one 3-light and one 2-light windows similar to those
in north wall. The north wall of the chancel is of medieval masonry,
the south was rebuilt in C19. 2 lancet windows in each wall. C19
3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior: the nave
arcade of circular piers with square abaci is late C12. The pier Lo the
east has a crudely carved water-leaf capital. The arches were rebuilt
in the C15. C13 chancel arch springs from triple responds, apparently
renewed. The centre one is keeled and the grooved square abaci are
probably original. Fittings: stone slab in the chancel with a floriated
cross carved in low relief, said to be C13. Good C18 wall monuments to
both sides of chancel. Medieval font. 1 tower window bears the
inscription: '1683. Thomas -, Samewell -, Church wardens', which may
refer to the insertion of bell openings and windows in an existing
tower.


Listing NGR: TA0090990329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.