History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 91, the Black Horse Public House and No 92

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4878 / 54°29'15"N

Longitude: -0.6119 / 0°36'42"W

OS Eastings: 490020

OS Northings: 511156

OS Grid: NZ900111

Mapcode National: GBR SJ5K.B1

Mapcode Global: WHG9Y.KGVG

Entry Name: No 91, the Black Horse Public House and No 92

Listing Date: 4 December 1972

Last Amended: 25 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148300

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326632

Location: Whitby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Whitby

Built-Up Area: Whitby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Whitby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Whitby

Listing Text

1.
1811 CHURCH STREET
(East Side)

The Black Horse Public
House.
No 92
NZ 9011 2/80

II GV

2.
C18. 3 storeys in painted brick. 4 windows, wood flush frames, no glazing bars.
Centre flat carriage arch. No 92 has 2-window shop front of early C20 date with
elaborate foliated consoles. Mainly modern glazed door with blocked rectangular
fanlight. Rendered stall risers. Public house has 5-fielded door and 2 windows with
frosted glass in rendered architrave with 4 pilasters. Plinth. Name on fascia.
The yard is of interest as being the site of the kitchen midden of the Anglian monastery
of St Hilda.

Nos 84 to 90 (even), Former White Horse Inn, The Black Horse Public House
Nos 93 to 100 (consec) Nos 105 to 112A (consec) & Nos 114 to 117 (consec) form a group.

The Black Horse Public Horse

No 92

shall be be amended to read
No 91 (The Black Horse Public House) -

------------------------------------
1.
1811 CHURCH STREET
(East Side)

The Black Horse Public
House.
No 92
NZ 9011 2/80

II GV

2.
C18. 3 storeys in painted brick. 4 windows, wood flush frames, no glazing
bars. Centre flat carriage arch. No 92 has 2-window shop front of early
C20 date with elaborate foliated consoles. Mainly modern glazed door with
blocked rectangular fanlight. Rendered stall risers. Public house has 5-fielded
door and 2 windows with frosted glass in rendered architrave with 4 pilasters.
Plinth. Name on fascia. The yard is of interest as being the site of the
kitchen midden of the Anglian monastery of St Hilda.

Nos 84 to 90 (even), Former White Horse Inn, The Black Horse Public House,
Nos 93 to 100 (consec), Nos 105 to 112A (consec) & Nos 114 to 117 (consec)
form a group.


Listing NGR: NZ9002011156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.