History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary (Roman Catholic)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carlton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7112 / 53°42'40"N

Longitude: -1.0202 / 1°1'12"W

OS Eastings: 464766

OS Northings: 424310

OS Grid: SE647243

Mapcode National: GBR PT9J.XC

Mapcode Global: WHFD9.9ZF9

Entry Name: Church of St Mary (Roman Catholic)

Listing Date: 11 November 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326472

Location: Carlton, Selby, North Yorkshire, DN14

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Carlton

Built-Up Area: Carlton (Selby)

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Drax St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Carlton

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-
SE 62 SW CARLTON
HIGH STREET
1267-/9/10000 (West side)
11.11.93 CHURCH OF ST MARY
RC Church
II

The Grade shall be amended to read II * ( star)

------------------------------------

SE 62 SW CARLTON
HIGH STREET
1267-/9/10000 (West side)
St Mary's RC Church
II
Roman Catholic church. 1842. Designed by Hadfield of Weightman
& Hadfield, Sheffield. Built by Mr Wm Bradley of Selby (stone
and brickwork) and Mr Bairstow of Selby (woodwork). Nave and
south porch with chancel and north vestry. White brick with
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs and coped ashlar gables with
moulded kneelers and cross finials. Chamfered plinth and cill
band, plus moulded eaves band.
West end has a 3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery,
at the right corner a square projecting bellcote with a small
pointed arch and a gabled top. North nave has three 2-light
pointed arch windows with panel tracery, south has 3 similar
windows, plus a projecting gabled porch with a pointed arch
doorway and above a trefoil window. Chancel has a single
3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery to the south,
and a larger similar window to the east, with above a canopied
niche. North chancel has a projecting vestry with a tall gable
stack and a flat headed 2-light window.
Interior. Single hammer beam roof to nave, and cross braced
roof to chancel. West gallery with Gothic balustrade,
supported on a single iron column. Fittings include original
pews, altar, reredos, and rood cross. Later brass altar rail
and elaborate side altars flanking the chancel arch.


Listing NGR: SE6476624310

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.