This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6963 / 53°41'46"N
Longitude: -1.1193 / 1°7'9"W
OS Eastings: 458246
OS Northings: 422561
OS Grid: SE582225
Mapcode National: GBR NTMP.GQ
Mapcode Global: WHDC9.SC57
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 11 December 1967
Last Amended: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326477
Location: Hensall, Selby, North Yorkshire, DN14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hensall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Snaith
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HENSALL CHURCH LANE
SE 52 SE
(west side, off)
3/4 The Red House
(formerly listed as The
Vicarage,now house. 1854 with later alterations. Architect, William
Butterfield; patron, 7th Viscount Downe; builder, Charles Ward of Lincoln.
Pinkish-red brick in English bond with grey tile roof. 2 storeys, 3 first-
floor windows with single-storey range to rear. Aesthetic Functionalism.
Off-centre entrance double plank doors with pointed overlight under pointed
arch. To right, small 4-pane sash, large tripartite window with 4-pane sash
a later insertion, and similar smaller window. All ground-floor openings
below header arches and pointed relieving arches. To left of first floor a
pointed tripartite window, the centre a 6-pane sash, under pointed arch set
in high gable. To right 2-light timber mullion window with 2-pane sashes
and a tripartite window, the centre a 12-pane sash, in half-hipped roof
dormer. Ridge, rear and side stacks have cogged bands. Interior retains
several original features. Library has bookshelves and fireplace. Dining
room has oak fireplace, roll-moulded beams and panelled walls. Dogleg
staircase with chamfered plank balusters. Shutters to some windows.
6-panel doors. An early example of a
conscious Victorian return to an honest, unpretentious style of house
building which is not stylistic and is devoid of imitative flavour.
Conceived of as a group with St Paul's Church (qv) and Hensall Primary
School and with similar groups at Cowick and Pollington. N Pevsner,
Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 262-631. P Thompson, William
Butterfield, 1971, pp 221, 308, 405 and 438.
Listing NGR: SE5824622561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.