This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7146 / 53°42'52"N
Longitude: -1.1713 / 1°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 454792
OS Northings: 424562
OS Grid: SE547245
Mapcode National: GBR NT8H.74
Mapcode Global: WHDC2.ZWFP
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 11 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326479
Location: Kellington, Selby, North Yorkshire, DN14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kellington
Built-Up Area: Kellington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kellington St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
KELLINGTON CHURCH LANE
SE 52 SW
2/6 Church of St Edmund
Church. Norman origins to nave, with mid C12 reconstruction including south
door, chancel and lower stages of tower. Mid C14 alterations to chancel and
addition of belfry stage to tower. C15 south porch, clerestory, north
chapel and buttresses to tower. North aisle and further restorations of
1866-70. Magnesian limestone ashlar with concealed roof to nave, stone roof
to south porch and asphalt roof to chancel. 3-stage west tower, 5-bay nave
with clerestory, south porch and north aisle. 3-bay chancel with north
chapel. Tower has stepped diagonal and angle buttresses. To first stage an
inserted 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould.
First and second stage bands. Second stage blind. Twin-light,
Perpendicular bell openings to each side. Battlements. Nave: gabled south
porch has plinth and pointed arch with chamfered jambs under hoodmould.
Band with gargoyles below embattled parapets to sides. Porch has a stone
roof on 4 single-chamfered transverse pointed arches. Stone benches to
either side of interior. Round-arched, plank south door within surround
with chamfered jambs and imposts supporting chamfered arch. Eroded single
nook-shafts support eroded roll-moulding. South side of nave has 2 lancet
windows and one 3-light pointed window with cinquefoil headed lights, all
under hoodmoulds. North aisle has plinth, diagonal and angle buttresses.
Straight-headed 2-light windows with trefoil-headed lights to side and
similar 3-light window to west. Clerestory has 4 similar 2-light, straight-
headed windows to each side. Moulded parapet. Chancel, which was mostly
rebuilt in C19, has diagonal buttress. To south side a blocked pointed
priest's door in chamfered surround and 3 lancet windows under hoodmoulds.
Pinnacles with crocketed finials and chamfered coping to gable end. East
end has 5-light window with reticulated-type tracery, under hoodmould.
North chapel. Plinth, angle buttresses. Inserted pointed priest's door.
3-light, straight-headed Perpendicular windows. Low parapet. To east end a
3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, under hoodmould. Interior.
Triple-chamfered tower arch with plain imposts and moulded capitals on
triple-chamfered responds under hoodmould with fleurons. Above, a pointed
niche with imposts. Nave has 5-bay arcade to north aisle on alternate
octagonal and cylindrical piers with double chamfered pointed arches. C19
pointed chancel arch on responds with foliate capitals supporting roll-
moulding. 2 arches of different widths from chancel to north chapel.
Western arch c1400 is double-chamfered on low octagonal piers, under
hoodmould with monk-face stops. That to east is a later and narrower
double-chamfered arch on octagonal responds. C19 double-chamfered pointed
arch from north aisle to chapel. Trefoil piscina. Font has octagonal base,
square plinth and octagonal top inscribed 1663 / MWW / IS / PV / GR / ZI /
CW / WS. Wooden altar of 1721. Monuments include Serpent Stone c1350 with
eroded raised cross and carvings; a C14 grave slab with incised cross and
sword. N Pevsner, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 282-3.
E C Hudson, Some Notes on The Parish Churches of Kellington and Whitley.
Listing NGR: SE5479324563
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings